Yes...another productivity bonus question!

So I work for a private pain clinic owned by 1 physician. He has no partners. I was the 1st provider he brought on 1 1/2 yr ago. I do the typical injections along with some flouro guided. 2 days each week we are at same location, he does flouro injections & I do all new and f/u pt's. The other 2 days I am sole provider at the clinic (he goes to our other clinic). I average 30-40 pt's per day (including in office injections), sometime

es more. He is adding a 10%productivity bonus for what is reimbursed minus my pay and overhead. Is there any specific wording I should be cautious of in the contract? Should I require definition of "overhead"? I have no proof of what the true overhead is, obviously meds/supplies are used by both of us (more so him) but I feel like he can see how much I brought in I.e-350k minus salary (95k) which will mean roughly 25k owed to me. Well we haven't yet deducted out the cost of 2 MA's I use and the front scheduler or supplies or building rent & I feel like he can pick and choose how much all of this overhead "costs" in order to bring the decent sounding 25k down to whatever realistic sounding number he chooses. Based on other posts re: bonuses I'm guessing there is just no way of knowing??

If you have entered into a contract with your employer, then you have every right to know what you are signing up for. So yes, I would ask for specifics - exactly what the bonus formula based on. Unless you are a partner in the practice, you should not be responsible for rent, utilities, etc. There are a million different bonus structures out there and not one is right for everyone. I have heard of some bonus structures where the MAs salary is deducted along with cost of materials used in practice. But that is usually seen with higher percentages, 40-45%.

That's my quick and dirty opinion. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm a bit confused why the provider has to pay for all or most of the costs of the doctor's practice. Other business owners pay for rent, electricity and other employees as part of the expense of doing business. If the provider was being paid say a 60/40 percentage, then I would think some consideration would be given to expenses of supplies and assistants, but most bonus arrangements that I have seen are based on the provider doubling their salary, subtracting for the medical assistant salary and sometimes supplies, then given a 20% (average???) bonus based on COLLECTED billings. I must be missing something about these arrangements because it looks like the provider's bonus is given after all expenses are paid and the doctor gets pure profit at around 80% of the provider's billing. Can someone explain to me why this is a good deal for the provider?

• 1 month later...

Good point nwatson. Unfortunately it seems the physician will likely always want full control of what they will be giving the PA. A productivity bonus is not really a productivity bonus if the physician is setting it up so that they can determine how much "expense" they want to use to get the "%" bonus promised within the actual amt they wish to give. At this point my Supervising physician has still not given me an answer. He refuses to give me 10% w/out overhead, I tried to agree on middle ground by stating he can deduct the salary of 2 MA's and 1 scheduler (which is what I use when I am the sole provider at clinic) out of the amt along with my salary but he still refuses. I tried to tell him in my opinion, rent, advertising, equipment, etc...should only be taken out if someone is a PARTNER in the practice. Now he says there is a "new thing" people are doing which is a flat 2% bonus and do quarterly(w/out any deductions) on amt collected. Has anyone heard of this? I want to see what 1 quarter is of collections, obviously if that amts to ~$5,000/QTR then I think I would be fine w/ 20,000 yearly AND it would take out the suspicious "overhead/expense" excuse.

Good point nwatson. Unfortunately it seems the physician will likely always want full control of what they will be giving the PA. A productivity bonus is not really a productivity bonus if the physician is setting it up so that they can determine how much "expense" they want to use to get the "%" bonus promised within the actual amt they wish to give. At this point my Supervising physician has still not given me an answer. He refuses to give me 10% w/out overhead, I tried to agree on middle ground by stating he can deduct the salary of 2 MA's and 1 scheduler (which is what I use when I am the sole provider at clinic) out of the amt along with my salary but he still refuses. I tried to tell him in my opinion, rent, advertising, equipment, etc...should only be taken out if someone is a PARTNER in the practice. Now he says there is a "new thing" people are doing which is a flat 2% bonus and do quarterly(w/out any deductions) on amt collected. Has anyone heard of this? I want to see what 1 quarter is of collections, obviously if that amts to ~$5,000/QTR then I think I would be fine w/ 20,000 yearly AND it would take out the suspicious "overhead/expense" excuse.

Archived