loans for tuition and living expenses while in PA school

Guest nonenino

Guest nonenino

Good morning to all of you. I wanted to ask for any "non-traditional" student who are currently in PA school and have families to support, advise about loans. I think it may be a bit difficult to attend PA school and work part time at the same time. Yet I have a wife and a daughter to support while in school. Don't know much about loans, but I do know that I may not be eligible for much assisatnce as I have been working full time for the past 5-7 years and I already have an undergraduate degree. Any words of wisdom from anyone on my same shoes? Thank you kindly! God bless you all!

Nonenino

I'll be in the same boat, so keep the thread alive! The PA program financial aid office should be able to help you, but I too am concerned with the prospect of getting loans after having already paid off the undergrad and buying a house. Keeping the kiddos fed is definitly going to be a priority:) I'm sure that my current income is going to hinder getting ANY federal aid as it was/is more than the starting salary for a PA new grad, however if you qualify the Perkins loan is based on financial need. Stafford loans max at 18.5 K /yr. There's always the National Health Service scholarship if you are willing to commit to an underserved area after you graduate. A list of alternative loan sources from private lenders was provided by the FA office as well(most likely my prime source of funding). Please PM if you want the list and good luck...:D

• 1 year later...
Guest smosley77

I am also trying to find a way to afford PA school while supporting a wife and a 5 month old. I would love to get a copy of that list of private lenders. I am pretty sure that I will be getting a good bit of my financing that way as well. Thank you for posting this, hopefully someone will post the "secret to paying for PA school while supporting a family" here soon.

I too will be supporting a wife and a young one. We are expecting our son aboput 6 weeks prior to the start of classes. I was fortunate and had my undergrad paid for by the military but Grad school is a different story. I have found several little scholarships here and there but They are not near what it looks like I will need. To anyone who has been in these shoes, give us the secret.

Secrets to coming out of PA school w/o a ton of debt? Someone tell me the secret, too... :p

There are a lot of tiny scholarships out there, and I'd say every little bit helps. The National Health Service Corps is the closest thing I've heard of to a full scholarship, but it has its down side - do a search here for 'NHSC' if you aren't familiar with it.

Hi There,

Check out the "Class Forums / UT Southwestern / Financial Aid" post.

Because financial aid is calculated based upon your 2004 tax return, it many times does not reflect you financial status for 2005 (in my case, I stopped working from full time).

You can petition your financial aid office to more accurately reflect your current financial status. I had my EFC (estimated family contribution) score drop from 57K to 12K.

I now qualify for need-based (subsidized) loans, so it's certainly worth looking into.

Anton

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

New to the forums (first post). Hoping for 2011 start in school. NHSC will be my method of choice (at this point) for school loans - assuming I get into my public school. What I am most concerned about, is living while going to school! My wife, myself, and our considerable family are gyrating through financial gymnastics in an attempt to figure this out. Avoiding debt is paramount in our plans! Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, I couldn't find where financial need is a consideration if using NHSC - does anyone know?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rliving23

Interesting. I have been contemplating PA school for a year now. My wife and I now have 5 week old. I work full-time, how would I be able to pay for PA school at this point in my life?

LOANS...the same way most people do.

Yep. My wife and I also have a little one. I will not be employed due to school and she makes less than child care would cost so she's just staying home. It is possible, but you will cost you. Just about everyone has a ton of debt after any graduate school, it comes with the territory. Try not to worry about it too much and you'll find yourself far less stressed.

The school should be able to modify their standard cost of living calcluations to accomodate some of the difference; however, note that if you and your significant other both work, they will only consider letting you borrow 1/2 of the various costs (assuming your SO will cover the other). I haven't actually used them, but I know that Chase, Citi, and Keybank all offer health professions loans and have generous lending amounts...obviously you will pay for it in interest, but if you have to do it, you have to do it. Go to each of their websites for further details. Best of luck to everyone. It's ugly now, but worth it later - or at least I hope :)

I started PA school with an 8 week old. I took out loans to survive. My wife worked nights during my first year and would drop the baby off with me on my way home. I would drop him off with her on my way into school. We always met in the parking lot at the school. It was tough but we did it and it is well worth the year struggle. During my second year my wife was accepted to and started her Masters Program in another state. We were fortunate to have parents near her college so they helped with child care. We still had to take loans and we took advantage of Medicare for our son that second year so he would continue with medical coverage. I was lucky and got out of grad school with just under 70K in loans. Many of my class mates had more. Like someone said earlier, very few people graduate from a graduate program without some sort of student loan debt. Its been 3 years now and I have about 2/3 of the loans paid off. Don't fret about the loans. You will pay them off after graduation. Good luck

• 1 year later...

Hi Ness,

It is not so easy regarding the loans but I am sure people get through!

Can it be possible for you to allow me to see the alternative loan list? From my understanding, the alternative list would have variable rates in comparison to Federal which would be fixed, correct? I am entering PA program very soon.

Thank you!

Archived