PA Jobs in Chicago

Hi all,

I just started PA school this Fall, but am beginning to think about where I'd like to work when I graduate. One of the places I'm looking at is Chicago. I've searched the forum and I noticed a couple people say you have to choose 2/3 of location, specialty, and salary. I am okay with this as long as I am in the right location. That being said, how hard would it be to find a job in or around downtown Chicago (Loop, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Gold Coast, etc.)? I know there are quite a few PA programs in the area and that it would be quite competitive. Would I stand a chance against these applicants, being a new graduate with no experience and not being from the area? My other line of thinking was to try to find a job in my area (Detroit) and then apply to jobs in Chicago after a year or two in order to be more competitive.

What do you guys think?

I am currently looking in Chicago, graduating May 2012. It seems that first job is all about the leg work you put in, networking, exploring the possibilities, etc, and talking with your preceptors. My initial reaction is to get that first year of experience in your area, because it will probably be easier to find a better first job that way, i.e. good mentoring, good MD/DO back-up, good learning experiences and then transfer where you want to go. Unless you have something strongly pulling you to Chicago (family/significant other, etc.) I'd say do Detroit first as the job market for new grads its a little more dicey. The job market for PAs with experience is actually really good, it seems. But, anything is possible. There seems to always be jobs for PAs and the vein clinics you could work at :-)

Archived