Pediatric Neurosurgery Offer - Residency Grad

Appreciate advice on this offer.  I finished PA school last July, and will complete my PA gen surg residency in Oct.  I have an interest in neurosurgery, and will do an elective in NS in July.  This is at an academic hospital.  The service normally has 1 fellow and 1-2 NS residents rotating each month.  They have 10 NPs who handle clinic and floor.  1 PA currently, with plans for 4 total for consults, in-house call, floor, and OR.  1 PA recently left d/t rarely getting into the OR.

4 day work week, one call day.  

1/3 time in OR (my pref is 25-50% OR)

4-6 months training period

Salary:  $97,000/yr + night/weekend diff + $6,500 for relocation

Benefits:  Health/dental/vision (approx $310/mo for family)

Vac/PTO/sick:  20 vac, 5 holidays, 9 sick

Retirement:  15%/yr pension, vested after 3 yrs.  403B avail, but no match

Malpractice:  Covered + tail

CME/professional dues:  $3,000/yr.  No extra days.  approx 50 hrs CME avail through grand rounds, ect at hospital

I am comfortable with in-house call and the OR d/t residency experience.  Feel the pay on the lower side, but understand the rationale that my training has been gen surg (GI, vasc, thoracic, endo, trauma, etc), not NS, and would be a newbee in that respect.  Did like the surgeons and staff.  Currently the PA is not in the OR much, but told that this was to change (however, this is an academic facility).

Thoughts?

Archived