How to negotiate for IHS/Reservation EM offer...

Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying the threads on contract negotiation but haven't seen any tips for what's appropriate to expect/negotiate for Indian Health Service jobs. I'm a second year student who will be graduating this year and I've got two potential offers to do Emergency Medicine on reservations in Arizona and they're offering ~$90k/year or about $58/hr for 12 shifts a month, plus excellent benefits. I'm hoping to negotiate working 10 days a month instead of 12 (for personal reasons) and want to know if I should accept the same hourly rate or ask for more since the commute is about 3-4 hours, and I know I'm the top choice for both jobs. Given the political environment too, I'm not holding my breath expecting federal loan repayment programs to be a certainty for me.

I certainly don't want to play hard ball and miss out on these jobs as they're exactly what I want to do and where I want to do it, but I don't want to "settle" for a much lower income than I should for a first job and have that haunt me for my career in subsequent negotiations.

Thanks for the guidance and advice!

Archived