PA in military

Hello, 

I'll be graduating from my PA program in December 2016 and I have a great desire to serve my country in the military. My first question is can I enlist right after graduation? I have read different things online stating that you need 6 months of civilian work before you can enlist, but I don't know if that is accurate. I'm thinking about either joining the Army or Navy, but I was wondering how the work experience differs between the two branches. Will I be practicing family medicine unless I am deployed, and then practice emergency medicine? Is there opportunity to chose what type of medicine you wish to practice? What will I be doing on a day to day basis? 

I am just looking for someone to give me any insight to help me gain a better understanding before I go and speak with a recruiter. 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

For the most up to date information on whether a specific branch is taking direct accessions you need to contact the AMEDD recruiter (Army) and they will let you know the requirements.

If you join the Army you will likely be assigned to a Maneuver unit, Infantry, Armor, Stryker or Airborne Brigade combat team as a PA for one of the Battalions.  You will do daily sick call (urgent care) for the Soldiers of your unit.  You will also see your Soldiers for routine  and follow up care, you see mostly 18-35 y/o healthy people that are basically amature athletes.  There is a lot of MSK injuries especially in the light and airborne type units.  When deployed you'll do basically the same thing with some trauma mixed in as it occurs and depending on the type of deployment.  After 4 years you can apply for Emergency Medicine, Surgery or Orthopedics education and you're garunteed to do two years utilization in that field after your school time is complete.  You'll also owe 4 more years but those are Doctorate programs. 

when you are assigned to a hospital you will be expected to do full family medicine.  Somtimes you an avoid Pediatrics if you aren't comfortable with that.

After the utilization tour or if you just decided to stay in your track you can still go anywhere.  In the Army the main job of PA's is to take care of Soldiers in maneuver units.  80% of the jobs are in that environment. 

I love it, I've been in for 21 years now and will be in for the next 4 for sure, maybe until I hit 30 and they make me leave.  It's not always fun, and it's not always easy but the overall reward is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) through the Navy, so I joined while in PA school. When I graduated and after I passed my boards, I was assigned to an outpatient clinic. Did mostly family practice, unless your command lets you attend the trauma course or other training offered by the Navy. 

You'll need to contact a medical recruiter for the Navy soon so you can ask the right questions. You should be commissioned as an officer if you're joining after you already have your degree. 

Archived