Independent Contractor vs. Partnership in part-time role

Hi everyone,

This message is sent to this forum as it is specific to TX law. I have an opportunity to work part-time (< 20 hours/week) in an alternative medicine practice. My question is not about the job, but the structure both financially and legally in accordance with Texas law. I have a full time job now, so benefits are not as important, but I would like to make this permanent at some point within the next year, so how do I proceed?

• 4 months later...

I don't know if you are still up to the opportunity, but I am sure you have discovered by now about hb 2098. You limits and abilities to form into partnership have been severely limited. I don't know how much investment latitude you have been offered, but as of June 17, 2011, no pa will be able to own more than 49% of the business. Furthermore, the ownership is completely non par stocks, meaning you will have NO voting rights in the business and absolutely NO management interest in the company. Caveat emptor!!!

Archived