re-entering PA career after taking time off (family leave)

Any advise/suggestions for entering back into the PA job market and finding a job after taking an extended family leave (over5 years)? I have 11 years of clinical PA experience but have not worked as a PA in 10 years. ( I was a young PA student/grad). Many PA's I have spoken with recommend using the online resources for job searches--no lack of resources there. But, no luck with that either. Some job postings are not even legitimate--

Someone else suggested shadowing a PA to get back into things and gain back some self confidence. Is there anyone who has been in this situation? If so, what helped you in getting that first job? New grads I have had the opportunity to speak with have told me they had jobs quickly after graduating. Help! I love being a PA and have learned from past experiences and mistakes-so, I am a bit more scrutinizing in my search these days.

Some states such as North Carolina will also require you to enter into a re-entry agreement as a condition for licensure after such an extended absence. I would advise you to check your state regs to see if that is required of you. Were you able to keep your certification current? If not, a review course such as CME resources will help you get back into it.

Thanks. I took the review class twice to refresh. Once in 2009 and then again this year. I have all certifications and current licensing--I had put the license on inactive for 5 years and had to reapply--but all is good. Been very busy with CME's and reading.

Archived