NYC Away Rotation - Housing?

Guest ehixson

Guest ehixson

I'm a Midwestern PA student attempting to set up a rotation in NYC. The only obstacle so far (or potential obstacle) is the housing situation. Basically I'm looking for any advice or information on how or what PA students do for housing in the NYC area that don't live there. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest redgiant66

Hey I'm a native of New York City. First of all, if you get a rotation there you should post how you got it.

They usually dont like out of state students to rotate there because the PA schools there (11 of them) already have affilitaions with most hospitals.

I'm an out of state student and I'm having trouble finding rotations in my own state due to this reason.

As far as housing, if you do a google search under NY Dormitory, or NY hostel you can find a place. They have educational dorms that are 50-75 bucks a week all over the city.

If I can help you further just send me an email or a PM. We're in the same boat.

Now that someone mentioned the word hostel, there is one on 20th street between 7th and 8th Avenue. It's in the "hottest" neighborhood in Manhattan. It's the International Hostel and most of the time I see young people from Europe hanging around there.

The neighborhood is safe, in fact, there's a police precinct on the block.

It's close to most subway lines.

I live in NYC and the easiest way to find housing for a short period of time is probably a hostel type situation. I know the Salvation Army runs several dormitory type hostels and as long as you are student, you can get in, but you have to reserve WAY in advance. Some are only for women (I actually lived in one for a semester before PA school), some are co-ed. They usually include meals, are clean, well run and in safe neighborhoods. Chances are you won't find an affordable apartment for only one rotation. Also, what is considered "affordable" here is very different from what is "affordable" elsewhere in the country. Be prepared to spend at least $1500/month for room, meals, travel expenses...

I'm also not a native of NY, but will be doing a rotation later this year. I have done a lot of searches on finding short term housing. Just a word of caution about International hostels...they usually have a maximum stay of 14 days (correct me if I'm wrong). This is what I have found in looking at the various hostels in NY.

Also, there are short term housing for females doing an internship in NY. My roommate recently did a rotation a NY and stayed in one of these places and she paid $840/month and it included breakfast and dinner. Not bad for NY!

Guest Class2005

Stop me if this is already available. I think there should be a program to trade housing for rotations away from where you're staying. So if I'm going to be out of my room for 8 weeks but I have to pay rent I can agree to give my apartment/room to another student rotating in my area while I'm gone. This would reduce costs and stress. You would of course have to provide references, a background check maybe, and talk to the person before you agreed to let them stay. Maybe you would even have to put down a deposit or something for insurance. The advantage is you can stay where you're rotating for free too in return through the student network. I haven't worked out all the kinks. It just occured to me. What do you all think?

• 1 year later...
Guest hcayward

Where is your rotation located? I plan to attend Touro starting in Aug. I currently work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I have a room available in my three bedroom house, if it is anything you are interested in. My old roommate just moved to NC.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm a 2nd year PA student living in Queens. I'm hoping to get some out of state rotations for Jan and Feb. If that fits your timeframe, I would be interested in subletting my furnished room. My roommate is also a 2nd year PA student so it would have to be approved by her. Let me know if you are interested.

• 3 years later...

Archived