Canadian PA applicants

Hi all,

I'm on the fence for pursuing a PA profession. Aaaany help is appreciated, as the responses to my emails to various adcoms have been one of: "we're busy"; "we don't know"; or were simply ignored. :saddd:

The thing is, I live in Canada (and go to McMaster University, which started Canada's first civilian PA program!) and plan on applying to both Canadian and American schools.

My questions:

Grades on CASPA - most Canadian schools designate A+ grades (for a 4.0 GPA; 90%+), and it is my understanding that most US schools only go up to an A. Does this mean that my As (3.9 GPA) would be converted to a 4.0 for CASPA? I believe this rule follows for AMCAS...

Training in US, working in Canada - if I study in the States, can I work in Canada? I know for the vice versa, you'd have to take PANCE, but I haven't heard of similar national exams for Canada.

General question - did anyone here become a PA at age 24, 25? I feel that PA school is kinda short for entering what I assume to be a lifetime career, and I can easily imagine myself burning out quickly if I start working so early. (Anyone felt the same?) Along with pursuing related degrees, can I take additional residences? Additional courses? Can I be promoted within the PA role?

Hi all,

I'm on the fence for pursuing a PA profession. Aaaany help is appreciated, as the responses to my emails to various adcoms have been one of: "we're busy"; "we don't know"; or were simply ignored. :saddd:

The thing is, I live in Canada (and go to McMaster University, which started Canada's first civilian PA program!) and plan on applying to both Canadian and American schools.

My questions:

Grades on CASPA - most Canadian schools designate A+ grades (for a 4.0 GPA; 90%+), and it is my understanding that most US schools only go up to an A. Does this mean that my As (3.9 GPA) would be converted to a 4.0 for CASPA? I believe this rule follows for AMCAS...

Training in US, working in Canada - if I study in the States, can I work in Canada? I know for the vice versa, you'd have to take PANCE, but I haven't heard of similar national exams for Canada.

General question - did anyone here become a PA at age 24, 25? I feel that PA school is kinda short for entering what I assume to be a lifetime career, and I can easily imagine myself burning out quickly if I start working so early. (Anyone felt the same?) Along with pursuing related degrees, can I take additional residences? Additional courses? Can I be promoted within the PA role?

Under your general questions they can all be answered by searching the forums and I'm pretty sure that University of Manitoba had a civilian program way before Mac. Mac was the first one in Ontario but civilian PA's have been practicing in Manitoba for a few years now.

If you do your training in the states you can work in Canada but if you do it in Canada you cannot work in the states. I just looked on the CAPA website adn this was taken down but the scope of practice in Canada is different from teh states so I doubt this has changed.

For grades on CASPA.. this is under the questions and answer thingy in CASPA.. it's on the website somewhere anyways, you submit your grades to a company who changes them for CASPA. Once you get your evaluation back you can input it into CASPA. I think you should still do a lot of research and look into things a little more. As a Canadian myself I know it's a bit more challenging for us but the answers are mostly out there you just have to research some more. Look on CAPA it, it has tons of answers to your questions including the exam questions. Good luck :)!

Under your general questions they can all be answered by searching the forums and I'm pretty sure that University of Manitoba had a civilian program way before Mac. Mac was the first one in Ontario but civilian PA's have been practicing in Manitoba for a few years now.

If you do your training in the states you can work in Canada but if you do it in Canada you cannot work in the states. I just looked on the CAPA website adn this was taken down but the scope of practice in Canada is different from teh states so I doubt this has changed.

For grades on CASPA.. this is under the questions and answer thingy in CASPA.. it's on the website somewhere anyways, you submit your grades to a company who changes them for CASPA. Once you get your evaluation back you can input it into CASPA. I think you should still do a lot of research and look into things a little more. As a Canadian myself I know it's a bit more challenging for us but the answers are mostly out there you just have to research some more. Look on CAPA it, it has tons of answers to your questions including the exam questions. Good luck :)!

Archived