Need a little advise

Find a 4 year university and select a major - it does not have to be a major in biology or chemistry, just make sure you get the basic pre-requisites out of the way. These typically include a semester anatomy course and a semester physiology course. Then choose which PA program you want to go to and make sure you have all their pre-requisites done. On top of this, make sure your science degree counts for the rest of your pre-requisites (basic bio/chem, english, etc.). Things like organic chemistry, bio-chemistry, microbiology, cell biology, immunology, virology - all are good ideas to get while you're at the 4 year university but not all are necessary.

At the same time as you're doing all this, get a job in a health care field - entry level EMT is what I'd advise, but CNA work can be pretty decent if you're working in a hospital setting. Find some time to shadow some providers, too. That should set you up just fine.

Andrew

First, it depends on if you want to achieve of masters degree. Most programs are masters programs. Meanwhile, most employers are seeking masters-level PAs these days. With that said, many suggest going the masters route. If this is the route you are interested, you will want a bachelors degree. It doesn't matter if it's a BS in biology, or synchronized swimming, so long as you also complete PA school prerequisites. However, a BS in biology will likely satisfy much of the pre-PA requirements. These typically include a year of general biology, a year of general chemistry, a course or two of organic chemistry, etc.

I didn't complete my associates of science at my community college because I would have taken a class or two that wouldn't help me in the long run. If you do pursue the associates of biology, make sure the classes you are taking are transferable to a 4-year college. To save money, you could call a four-year school in your area and grab a copy of their requirements for their BS in biology, and then start taking equivalent classes at your community college until you are at the point of needing upper division classes.

In the meantime, be sure to start accumulating healthcare experience and volunteering experience. :)

Archived