Need in-program surg training for decent job prospects after graduating?

How important is formal surgical training (like you get at Cornell & UAB) to get decent work offers as a “surgical” PA after school? Is it better/quicker/cheaper to get the PA-S in addition to the primary care focus in those 2 programs, than to get it after-the-fact in a residency program?

I'm feeling that I should just get the surgical along with the primary care training all at once, so I don’t have to spend the time & money to go back to school in a residency program afterwards - IF that’s what I end up wanting to do. Now, I’m not certain that I’ll want to be a surgical PA exclusively, but I know I’m interested in exploring that route and so would like to be as prepared as possible ASAP. The plan is to graduate from PA school with as much as possible in my clinical arsenal and make myself as hirable as I can.

I have heard anecdotally that ‘you really don’t need the official training, some docs actually prefer you not to have acquired bad habits’ and ‘you can get a job just as easily without the formal education’.

Thanks,

AP

Archived