Hospital credentialingl for ER PA

I am currently in the process of being hired by a large ER group in NM. The Credentialer for the ER group said that they would not have any problems getting me credentialed after I passed the pance. The regional director and my potential supervising physician did not have any problems and seemed enthusiastic about working with me.

Now, here is the problem. I got a call from the ER recruiter on Friday and they told me that the hospital does not credential PAs in the ER only NPs. The ER group said they would try and convince the hospital to credential me.

My question is how can I have physician willing to teach me but this hospital may not be willing/wanting to credential me. Why would a hospital not want to credential a PA? Has anyone ever heard of this?

SeverL issues here

First is agency.. Who employs the NPs? The hospital? Are they billeted as an extension of the Ed nursing staff? As such, and if they are hospital employees, the hospital may not have seen the light about PAs as employees yet, for billing reasons, etc.

If the group employs the NPs, then there is a bias by the credential committee which can be overcome by your group standing up for you and PAs in general and pushing the inclusion of allied health professional designation to include PAs ( who were, after all the prototype for " allied health / mid level"

All this, who can be credentialled where, is a function of the medical executive board.. And current rules can be changed by that board... It may be a slow cumbersome process..

Your future, frankly, depends on how much political pull the group has within the hospital, and how seriously they want you to get credentialled.

Good luck.

Archived