Public Service Loan Forgiveness for AA's?

I just stumbled across some basic info on this site about how the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program works.

The one thing I'm wondering is what type of facility falls into this category where work is concerned.

If if I get certified as an AA via the Emory program, are there anesthesia jobs in Public Service facilities or are these places more along the lines of Family Practice/Emergency Clinic only?

I'd love to end up taking advantage of this type of setup, esp if I get to move to a rural area. My wife and I are hoping to get a few acres and raise our own grass fed beef, pork, and chicken...so a rural setup would work great for us.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Guest guthriesm

Public Service Loan Forgiveness program only pays if you have direct loans (so no private loans) and have paid 120 payments. You need to work for a public service - government (federal or state), or qualifying non-profit.

Therefore if you could find an AA position that meets those requirement, then in theory, yes it would work. The challenge- since you have to work in surgery, finding such a place may be unrealistic.

If you do end up in that rural setting, you can probably keep your living expenses low and hopefully pay off the debt the old fashioned way. Good luck!

Archived