For PA-C's who are/were Registered Dietitians

Hi everyone!

I am currently in my last semester of my didactic year and had a couple of post-graduate questions. I am currently still a Registered Dietitian (RD) and my license will be expiring in 2018 if I don't renew it with CEU's. I was wondering if there are any PA-C's out there who are/were RD's and could answer some questions for me:

1) If you kept your RD: Do you find that it's been helpful to you? What are the biggest benefits of keeping the RD with the PA-C? Will you continue to renew it? Have you found any CEU's that are both approved for PA's and RD's?

2) If you don't have your RD because you let it expire: do you wish you still had it?

Any comments/experiences with either is appreciated!!

Thanks!

PAJouy

I still maintain my RD status. Any PA CMEs you do that are in anyway related to nutrition or the practice of it will count for the RD CEU's.  I have used the RD license to some extent, especially in diabetes care, obesity, patients certifying for gastric bypass, and just to answer general questions on nutrition.

Most of my RD CEUs were taken care of through the PA CMEs, so I was not having to attend a separate RD conference.  The RD CEUs will not give you CMEs, however.  

I kept my RD status as a back up plan or career if anything went south with the PA route.  You can use it to your benefit when you are looking for a job especially if you have an interest in specialties like diabetes, nephrology, gastric surgery and even FP.  I found I did some nutritional assessments for the well child/baby exams I did, and having the RD background was helpful.

Keep your RD for at least awhile until you figure out what type of practice you will be in once you graduate. Since I'm at the end of my PA career in 8-10 years, I do not plan on renewing my RD or worrying about the 75 CEUs I need to get.  I just started my next 5 year plan for my CEUs and am not going to stress out if I don't get them. I'll retire the RD in 5 years for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived