Pain

I shadowed a PA who is part of a Pain Management practice.

I can say that based on my experience with her, it is definitly a good paying field. This PA works 4 days a week in the clinic, about 8am - 5pm or so, she gets a base pay of $60,000/yr but also gets part of whatever she bills. I dont quite understand that part of it, but basically at the end of the year she ends up making ~$125,000/yr Not bad if you ask me.

The one thing that I noticed about the field is that it is not so much skillfully difficult as it is psychologically difficult. We are talking about dealing with people some of which who have had pain almost their whole life, and no one can explain why... then there are also people (because you deal with some high level pain drugs like Methadone) that actually take the drugs and end up selling them, which is why some practices have routine drug screens to make sure they are taking them.

I dont know a whole lot about it, but this particular PA seemed to enjoy what she was doing, and I am sure the money doesnt bother her either!

Of course, this is just one practice, as a field in general, I really dont know!

Thank you..I agree. I just started a part time job in this field... I also think its psychologically challanging.. I think many expect immediate gratification.. But "freak out" if someone ask them for urine for a drug test!

Also its a relatively new field in that at one time the powers that be would say "no dont give opiates" but now its accepted under the specialty of pain management..

Can anyone else provide input to this pain management question????

Interestingly enough, from what I have heard is that many doctors are reluctant to accept those docs that go into this field. There is some pride built up or something, think Dr. Cox (scrubs) when he makes fun of the hot psych doctor. "Excuse me "Doctor", us real doctors ..."

However, I think once they realize how much money can be made in this field (A LOT!) they will be singing a different tune before long!

Interestingly enough, from what I have heard is that many doctors are reluctant to accept those docs that go into this field. There is some pride built up or something, think Dr. Cox (scrubs) when he makes fun of the hot psych doctor. "Excuse me "Doctor", us real doctors ..."

However, I think once they realize how much money can be made in this field (A LOT!) they will be singing a different tune before long!

Ok, I looked at a couple of the other threads in this sub forum.... I agree again...

Sometimes the anaesthiologists will go into this field...*I think the docs who are in this field are percieved as lazy, possibly getting by wearing pajamas to work and may "not have to do the real William Osler work"... The diagnosis has already been made for them..

Thanks again, just trying to find out the real deal!

The SP only wants to pay me $40. /hour in New York tristate area but Ive been practicing over 15 years!

• 1 year later...

It is interesting how pain management physician/PA's/NP's can be viewed as been lazy etc. However, FP's are specifically (routinely) dependent on them to prescribe chronic narcotics because most know that FP's won't. I honestly do not know why because the FP's may have known the patient for a long time and would be best suited to prescribe them. However, no one likes the low reimbursement of med refills.

• 6 months later...
Guest alexjoan

In the forefront of pain research are scientists supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), including the NINDS. Other institutes at NIH that support pain research include the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute of Nursing Research, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and the National Institute of Mental Health. Developing better pain treatments is the primary goal of all pain research being conducted by these institutes.

• 9 months later...

Archived