PANRE Advise for Working PAs

I just passed, thank you God!!  Studying for it was not fun.  But I have a technique for working PAs in a specialty that have little time to study or have kids, etc.....

AND who also refuse to use their personal vaction time to study for the PANRE.

But first a mild rant, allow me.  Thank you.

Is it really necessary to have to take this test again? 

I say this only because, I feel if one has made it through the rigors of PA school, and passed their PANCE, then perhaps that is sufficient?  I therefore, would prefer that the PANRE be reserved for PAs that have been in trouble or haved placed disciplinery action in the past, otherwise your good to go.  The test should be turned into punishment for PAs with problems.  And not for PAs that have a proven track record of doing their job, and doing it well with ZERO issues or concerns from ones employer.  OK, I feel better thank you.

OK, if you work full time.  And in  a specialty.  This is all you have to do.

Study Plan for busy Adults: Two part.  ---->Also for people who dont want to do a 3 or 5 day review course in some strange city.

1) Study notes for 2 months (an hour a day, more on weekend)--->Hippo PA notes or whatever review course or book. Highlight them and go through them a system at a time.

2) Next, for one month practice questions, 50-75 a day, more on weekend.  I used PA easy and Kalpan Q Bank both and they really helped.  Did over 2,000 questions.  I work in a specialty that doesn't see a lot of this stuff for the most part.  I refused to use vacation time for this.  No way, jose.  Review X rays and EKGs for a couple of hours.  If I recognized a pattern, I would be OK.  Remember, its quite possible that EKG or chest X ray is in fact normal but pt is symptomatic.  There was a great Murmurs lecture for med students on Youtube, and I got a dry erase board and wrote everything that guy in the video wrote and just kept practicing it and wrote that down immediately once I sat for the exam. 

I started to listen to about 10 of Brian Wallace's free podcasts (he did a great job) but I didn't stick with it.  When on treadmill I'd rather listen to Silversun Pickups or the new Foster the People CD (really good btw), I can't run to "Kidney's part two" I just can't. 

A special shout out to the nice people at Pearson UVE, very professional and nice. I took a break after each block and had some Skittles to keep blood sugar up and some water.

After the exam, I seriously gave it a 50/50 chance of passing.  Its rigorous if you haven't tested in 6 YEARS!!! 

I thought it was a fair exam, some stuff I blanked on, some stuff I will never remember like the Hep antibodies, no matter how hard I try.  Some stuff I was like "huh?", and every once in a while they reward you with a really easy question as if for encouragment. 

Hope my 3 month study plan helps?

Oh I did use Brian Wallace's "The Final Step" forgot aboout that, spent the day before going through all of that E book, but had to print it all out and make my notes on the side as I went through it.  I think it helped, and highly recommmend for last minute studying.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad you passed!!!!! Congratulations.  Thank you for mentioning the show.  Yes,  it is not the most exciting thing you could be listening to.  I totally agree.  Thanks for mentioning the book and I'm glad it helped.  I'm planning on coming out with a print version in September.  I know its to late for you, but it is coming. You can find the free show in iTunes or at www.physicianassistantexamreview.com  

Archived