Letters of Recommendation

As far as getting letters of recommendation from preceptors...

- Do you recommend having the preceptor write one as soon as your rotation is over or wait until you apply for a job?  

- How important is it to have the preceptor tailor the letter to a specific job?

- If you have them write it early, would you recommend getting a dated and undated copy?

- Any other tips

• 3 weeks later...

If you're afraid that the preceptor won't remember you well enough in a few months to be able to write or give a recommendation, then you probably shouldn't be using them anyway.  I made a habit of leaving a resume and copy of my student ID when I left a site.  They may not remember your name, but they will remember your face if they were looking at it every day for several weeks.

This worked out pretty well for me. I actually had a site contact me with an invite to interview.

Work with and talk to whoever you can.  They may not be hiring when you graduate, but they most likely will know someone who is.

As for tailoring it to a job, that seems like overkill. Especially if you end up applying to multiple types of job--you don't want to restrict yourself based on the letters you have.  Employers hiring a new grad know what they're getting info.  Enthusiasm, strong fundamental knowledge and your past experiences will carry you much further than anything else.

Archived