I need help understanding my financial aid package!

I received my financial aid package from my school a few days ago- I am pretty discouraged because they are only giving me $3,000 over what tuition cost is. This isn't anywhere near what their "cost of attendance" (books, laptop, medical supplies, fees, room/board) is on their website. 

I've tried calling the financial aid office 3 times already and each time either everyone is busy or I just get a VM box. 

Here's some background on me: I am 2 years out of college, paid off my undergrad loans last year (currently debt free!), great credit history, currently work full time and make enough to live off and save a few hundred a month, work on an NIH grant and am getting laid off in May- therefore I wont have much money going in.) 

Has anyone else gotten a really low financial aid package offer? What are my options here and what questions should I be asking? 

This sounds very similar to a problem I encountered a few weeks ago when I was awarded my financial aid package. After adding up all my expenses and looking at the estimated cost of attendance for the year, I also only had a few grand left over for living expenses. Luckily everything has been cleared up after speaking with my school's financial aid officer.

As I understand it only the financial aid for the fall and spring semester (not summer) is disbursed in this first aid package. So what I was awarded, while substantially lower than the estimated cost of attendance for a FULL academic year (fall,spring,summer), is actually only the tuition/fees and living expenses for the first two semesters (fall and spring). Come spring I'll be offered another financial aid package for the summer semester alone.

I'd assume most programs work this way, but I suggest you continue trying to get in contact with your school before you start worrying too much.

All the best

Archived