Methotrexate liver biopsy

Wanted to get an opinion for those practicing PAs out there. It's recommended to do a liver biopsy after the patient has been given a cumulative dose of 4 grams of methotrexate even if there are no risk factors for hepatotoxicity. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just reading about MRE's replacing liver biopsy as a possibility.  Anyway I have no personal experience with this so can only offer my personal opinion.  If a pt was adequately worked up for any RFs and had none, and never had any LFT, alk phos, albumin abnormalities, and still had no risk factors, and only 4g of MTX, I would probably present the pt with the option but also explain to them that their risk is low and try to involve them in the decision.  Since it is SOC it should certainly be offered and all risks to getting or not getting the bx explained to the pt in plain English.  Just my 1 cent.

Archived