Undergrad seeking advice/insight from PA in upper extremities surgery

Hey everyone,

Just signed up on this sight after a few days of lightly browsing.

I am a junior undergrad, I've had a life long fairy tale dream of being a surgeon, but as reality sets in, and with the healthcare field changing, and the desire to have a balanced lifestyle, the PA profession is starting to look nice.

the main reason I am hesitant in the PA field is the idea of being the "bitch" and given scutwork. 

As a surgical PA, more specifically in orthopedics, (maybe even more specifically in upper extremities if any of you guys are reading this), is there that feeling of inferiority, or more of a teamwork, partner vibe?

Are PA's limited in surgery to just opening and closing wounds? or can they perform a variety of surgeries. Does anyone see this changing for the better or worse?

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Why limit to upper extremity? I'm I'm general ortho with emphasis on total joints. While a majority is being "the closer" I do get to do a lot depending on the day. I've done toe / ray resections essentially in my own, and other small things... But it all depends on your surgeon. I most definitely am treated as a colleague, near equal. Not scutt monkey.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived