New JNC 8 Guidelines

Very nice summary. I worked with a nephrologist a few months ago who taught me that CCBs and thiazides are first-line for AA patients with HTN. I've used that combo successfully in quite a few patients and have to roll my eyes when my EM attendings ask why I'm not using ACEI and ARBs first for these patients...many of these guys are just not interested in learning new data. Sigh.

Very nice summary. I worked with a nephrologist a few months ago who taught me that CCBs and thiazides are first-line for AA patients with HTN. I've used that combo successfully in quite a few patients and have to roll my eyes when my EM attendings ask why I'm not using ACEI and ARBs first for these patients...many of these guys are just not interested in learning new data. Sigh.

Did you mean AAA? And if so what's the reasoning behind their use In this population? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you mean AAA? And if so what's the reasoning behind their use In this population? Thanks

Nope. AA=common shorthand for African American. Genetic differences in Renin-Aldosterone-Angiotensin system in this group account for much less robust response with ACEI and ARBs. CCBs and thiazides work better. This particular preceptor got me reading the Journal of Hypertension (yeah kinda specialized). This was my med school Nephro rotation--I still practice part-time in a rural SC ED.

Nope. AA=common shorthand for African American. Genetic differences in Renin-Aldosterone-Angiotensin system in this group account for much less robust response with ACEI and ARBs. CCBs and thiazides work better. This particular preceptor got me reading the Journal of Hypertension (yeah kinda specialized). This was my med school Nephro rotation--I still practice part-time in a rural SC ED.

Thanks!

Archived