Are grants given before loans?

I remember during my undergraduate, I just submitted my FAFSA every year, and I got a reward letter from school saying this was how much I was eligibile for Pell grants, and the rest was stafford loans. I believe the maximum Pell grant was $2,500/year. Pell grants and stafford loans are solely based on your income and if you're under 21, then also your parents' incomes will be considered. The amount will be based on the cost of attendance. So in short, yes, you will be considered for Pell grants first then stafford loans based on income. There're many college kids whose parents make income level higher than their miminum requirement, they're not eligible for pell grants or even stafford loans.

• 9 months later...
Hmm, if my EFC is 0, would schools give me their school grant before having to resort to loans? Also, would schools give me less of their institutional grant if they already offered a scholarship?

This is way late, but might still be of interest. The main grant is the Pell Grant which I believe is Federal, rather than from the school. School grants would be given out like scholarships, and is at their discretion (which is usually based on some sort of criteria; I had an amazing HS GPA and good ACT scores, so they were very generous). I received several grants and scholarships from my university and the gov't. Regardless, the amount of money awarded cannot be greater than the calculated cost of attendance (as set by the school). You can be awarded more than tuition and be given the extra as cash, but they expect that you'll use that for board and other school expenses. To answer your overall question, yes, you'd be awarded all grants and scholarships before a loan (which you'd have to sign for, rather than just accepting).

Archived