How hard is it to get into cardiothoracic residency program

Im sorry to bother you guys but I was wondering how competitive it is to get into cardiothoracic residency program? what things a PA should strive to have to be competitive enough to get into these programs right after graduating from PA program? how high of a GPA he must have and is there anything else he should do to be competitive? I know there is only two residency programs and they only offer 3 total spots.

thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

What are your thoughts about going into a CT residency program? Why are you interested? I'm just about to go into my elective rotation for CT surgery and really wonder if there are advantages for a residency program given the hours and demand for that year. Obviously you learn a lot but don't you also learn a lot during your on-the-job training?

There are more than that!

I found these three that are exclusively CT surg:

• Emory Physician Assistant Postgraduate - Cardiothoracic Surgical Residency Program  (Accepts 2 students per year)
  • METHODIST DEBAKEY HEART AND VASCULAR SURGERY PA RESIDENCY PROGRAM  (Accepts 2-3 per year)
  • St. Joseph Mercy Hospital - PA Residency In Cardiothoracic Surgery (Accepts 1 per year)

These others also have a CT surg component:

• Winthrop University Hospital - PA Postgraduate Surgical Critical Care Program (4.5 months of CT surg included)

• UPMC Advanced Practice Provider Postgraduate Surgical Residency Program - Surgery (One rotation)

• Norwalk Hospital - Norwalk/Yale PA Surgical Residency Program (One rotation)

• Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Postgraduate Residency in Surgery for PAs (One rotation)

• Johns Hopkins Hospital - Postgraduate Surgical Residency for PAs (One rotation)

• Hartford Healthcare PA Surgery-Critical Care Residency Program - Residency and Sugery (One rotation)

• Geisinger Medical Center - PA General Surgery Residency Program (One rotation)

• Duke University Medical Center - PA Surgical Residency Duke University Med Ctr. (Looks like about 4 months of CT surg)

• Bassett Healthcare Multispecialty Surgical - Postgraduate Physician Assistant Program (One rotation)

So you see, you actually have many residency options that could springboard you to CT surgery. I would think that the more general surgical residencies would give you a greater ability to market yourself for a variety of surgical positions, especially if it turned out that you didn't actually like CT surg that much or wanted a change down the line.

What are your thoughts about going into a CT residency program? Why are you interested? I'm just about to go into my elective rotation for CT surgery and really wonder if there are advantages for a residency program given the hours and demand for that year. Obviously you learn a lot but don't you also learn a lot during your on-the-job training?

Now a days no one has time to teach you on the job. A formal education is of great value when going into a specialty like CT surge. They would offer didactic, rounding, exams, and would expose you to many facets of the specialty. You wouldn't get that going straight into the workforce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived