View on athletes applying to PA school?

Hi everyone,

I have just recently interviewed at a few schools. I lettered 4 years in NCAA in athletics and would like to hear of any experiences, current or past, applicants have had with athletic experience obtaining a seat at a PA school. In my interview I was asked alot of questions regarding my journey in athletics and it seemed to be a "hot topic" with the interviewers along with the students attending the program. I can see why they like the idea of an athlete in terms of skills such as time management, teamwork, leadership, determination, motivation, goal setting etc.. I definitely pressed these points in the interview.

One other point I would like to address. I am an international student... one of the downfalls of this is I am not able to gain the "recommended" or "paid contact hour" experience that fellow applicants because I do not have a work visa. However, I have close to 1000 hours which include internship hours, shadowing hours along with on campus hours relative to the health/medical field... not paid of course. I feel that my background in athletics provides me with alot of the tools you get from the work experience minus the patient contact.. which I have obtained through the hours noted above. I will say that my application was strong enough to get me in the door and interview.

What are your thoughts?

Archived