Home Healthcare Job- Your Experience

I am a PA student graduating in December and have received an email with an opening for a home healthcare job. The salary seems unrealistic ($110/hour). The position is open to new grads. I am still waiting for the catch. Does anyone here have any experience working in home healthcare? What is it like? I feel like I want to work somewhere with more supervision at first.

Followed a home based provider for two weeks when in school. Depending on locations, it involved 100-200 miles of daily driving with traffics, weather and etc. Some were in bad neighbors... some visits required more than an hour as a new patient.. I didn't think that was something I would consider doing day in and day out.

What a great way to pay off loans.  If you could do a strictly 36 hour work week or something and pick up a per diem job on the side, holy crap you would be clean sailing!  Mind sharing more info about how you find the job and the area it is offered in?  I do agree it's not the best learning experience, certainly would not compare to working in an office or hospital alongside another PA or doc.  What are the hours like?

• 2 weeks later...

For money like that, my Spidey-Sense tells me they will want you to carry your own malpractice insurance, I somehow doubt you'll have great access to your SP, and they probably won't pay you mileage. It could, under the right circumstances, be the absolute worst possible job for a brand-new grad.

Do they provide you a car? I have an NP colleague who runs a home-health business, and he runs things very classy. Each provider gets a tricked-out vehicle with decals and yellow lights on top, and a suite of bedside lab tests. It's like a mini ambulance, in that you can grab whichever tackle box and run UAs, CBCs, and some panels right there on the spot. He also has a contract with a radiology service that can do in-home X-rays. It's all very cool.

But there is a very wide spectrum in terms of not only facilities and tech, but support. I'd be asking a LOT of questions.

Archived