Time for a raise?

Hi,

I wanted some of your opinions on my situation.

I am currently working part-time in an internal medicine sub-specialty in jacksonville, FL and make $40/hr. I was a new grad when i started working here, and am coming up on one year. I work 20hrs/week, no call, no weekends. The only additional benefit I get is malpractice with tail coverage.

I have kept tract of how many patients I see, and average ~180 patients/month (an average of 6-15 patients in 4 hours, usually averaging around 10). I don't know how much I am generating for my practice. I am coming up on one year, and I needed some guidance on what is an appropriate raise to ask at the one year mark? Should I ask for a performance evaluation? or is it too soon to ask for a raise? I have looked at the 2010 Salary Report and make more than the median for my experience and specialty.

Any advice is appreciated.

You have been at the practice for almost a year and no performance evaluation yet?  Yes, ask for one.  Also, ask to see your numbers from the practice manager or whoever keeps track of the billing.  How is billing done?  Is it incident to or by your NPI number alone?   Once you know how much has been billed out under your NPI (or the physician's NPI) then you can ask what percent is collected.   You will then know how much you are making the clinic and how much you cost them.  This is probably too simplistic of an answer and some clinics do not readily give up their data to the practitioners if you are not a partner.   

If you are making them tons of money then ask for a BIG raise.  They are giving you  no benefits and for a part-time employee you deserve a whole lot more.  What specialty are you in?  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answer. I will be coming up on one year in the beginning of December. I work in rheum. I'm not sure how billing is done, but we have a girl that does bililng, I could ask her how she normally bills for the patients that I see. Thanks for your answer. How much do you think I should be making?

• 2 weeks later...

Its all based on productivity! You need a copy of how much money you are bringing into the office to negotiate for your raise. Also, strongly consider asking for NONTAXABLE 'raises' such as PA organization fees (state chapter dues for example) as well as CME money. You may get a nice raise only to see your taxes increase. 

Thanks CornellSPA.  I requested information regarding how much I am bringing into the practice. Just waiting for them to give me the numbers. As far as the nontaxable raises-- they already cover all of my dues, dea, license.. 401K is excellent. dental and health is provided. CME is $1500 with 3 days. I would like 5 days so am going to try and negotiate that. What I am having a hard time with is whether I want a salary based on percentage I bring in or if i want a base salary with a lower percentage on productivity. Currently I am purely salaried.  I currently see between 15 and 18 patients a day with joint injection procedures.  

Archived