Administration of Influenza Vaccine

Hello everyone,

New PA School Graduate here. I have a question that may be state specific but I am unable to find the answer doing some research. I am in that awkward time period of just after graduation but before being certified and starting my new job in November. My question is, can a graduate of a PA program legally administer the flu vaccine before taking the PANCE and becoming fully certified? If it is state specific can anyone help direct me to where I can find this answer? I am looking to make some cash before starting my new career and this opportunity has presented itself. Thanks!

Do you have prior HCE in a job that allowed you to give injections, such as MA? Are you in a state where you are allowed to do so while under the employ & supervision of a physician? If so, then you may be able to. I would check with your state medical board as well as the potential employer. It is state dependent, & some states are allowing pharmacy tech's with very minimal training to give flu vaccines.

Thanks for the reply ToppDog. I did get an EKG tech certificate just before entering PA school, but of course no immunization training there. I did give hundreds of IM injections on my rotations, but that was as a student. I will call the state medical board and see what they have to say. Thanks again.

Archived