Question about licensing turn around time

Hey everyone,

I hope you all have had great holidays. I am about to graduate from school in Boston this coming May. So, the situation is kind of ridiculous and this is why I am posting this scenario here to see if you all think it is even remotely feasible.

1. Start application process in Texas in March, as well as supplemental forms with school in March. School won't release forms until May 17th (after graduation).

2. Graduate May 14th, immediately take PANCE afterwards, Texas board receives forms from school, PANCE scores and hopefully finalizes application by the end of May.

3. Start working in the beginning of June, or even late May since I would also apply for a temp license from Texas board. Of course this all requires finding employment in Dallas while living in Boston and the possibility of having license delayed depending on the amount of time it takes for Texas to process documents.

The reason for the quick move is because my wife was wanting to go to a graduate program in Texas that starts first week of June. We don't have a ton of money saved up just to be able to live for weeks until a license comes through, or setting up a lease/rental without documentation of guaranteed income. So, that is why I would have to have job in hand, and licensure awaiting shortly thereafter. I am originally from that part of the country, Dallas, so it isn't like I am going to a completely new area. I just don't know if all of the above is possible in such a short period of time. So, now my wife and I are thinking about completely altering our plans and staying in Boston for one year more so I can get my application in Mass, take PANCE all while she is still employed full time, and then have her apply to grad school for 2012 and apply for Texas license over the course of the next year while still in Boston etc.

I just wanted to see what you all think. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Not to be a skeptic, but I think you overestimate the turnaround time for the state to issue you a license. It can take well over a month in many states. I'm no expert on TX or MA, but I have a feeling your ideal timeframes wont come close to being met. You also have to consider that once you get your state license you have to get hospital privileges (if you are going to work in a hospital), and those can take upwards of 3 months or more. Good luck!

Archived