Graduating from Hunter College double majored in Community Health and Sociology..

I'm planning on applying to York College for PA. Currently have a 3.4 GPA. I'll be graduating fall of 2014 at the age of 25 with degrees in Community Health and Sociology (still debating if i should minor in physiology). Out of curiosity, if i do get into PA school, can i possible get a job in a higher paying field with 3-4 years of experience considering that i already have degrees in Sociology and Community Health education. I'm graduating at 25 due to financial problems and transfer issue. I attended Community College for 2 years and then transferred to Hunter. First 2 semesters, i struggled to get accustomed to the city life and the commute, but i'm well adjusted now. Basically, what can i do?

Any experience you have will be useful for landing a job, but unless you have extensive work experience, realistically you probably won't start significantly higher as a PA. Anything's possible though. It might open opportunities for you that grads with different experience wouldn't have.

1. Even PAs with MPH (a masters degree) don't really make much more money; in fact they may make less depending on where they work.

2. Don't really see how your BA degree would improve salary.

3. PAs make more than NPs according to current salary data. I do not see how your BA would allow an NP to make than an NP with a "regular" BSN either.

You need to do your research. To be honest and not to be a dick, but most of us got a BS in biology which is a much harder degree and we aren't making any more money, so what makes you think you would?

Things that lead to higher paying PA job

- Work in a high paying specialty (eg CT surgery)

- Years of experience as a PA

- Could make more/less if took up administrative duties

Any experience you have will be useful for landing a job, but unless you have extensive work experience, realistically you probably won't start significantly higher as a PA. Anything's possible though. It might open opportunities for you that grads with different experience wouldn't have.

I guess you're right. Hopefully i can secure a PA job in the surburb (Rockland County). Pay is significantly better there and i used to live there, so it will be a great homecoming for me. I know NYC will low-ball PA's because there's A LOT of PAs there and some people will take less just to be in NYC, i won't.

Hunter, what makes you think NPs make a "ton more" than PAs by having a BA in community health?

I Spoke with this Community Health Nurse who makes well over 6 figures. She explained to me that she used to be an NP, but she wanted to improve her pay, so she went back to school and got a community health degree. Maybe it's because of experience, but she said she got offered a 6 figure job.

1. Even PAs with MPH (a masters degree) don't really make much more money; in fact they may make less depending on where they work.

2. Don't really see how your BA degree would improve salary.

3. PAs make more than NPs according to current salary data. I do not see how your BA would allow an NP to make than an NP with a "regular" BSN either.

You need to do your research. To be honest and not to be a dick, but most of us got a BS in biology which is a much harder degree and we aren't making any more money, so what makes you think you would?

Things that lead to higher paying PA job

- Work in a high paying specialty (eg CT surgery)

- Years of experience as a PA

- Could make more/less if took up administrative duties

From what i was told, i doesn't matter if you have a BA or an MPH PA degree. We all pretty much learn the same thing, so i don't understand why getting an MPH will get you higher pay. I guess you're right about everything else. So basically what you're telling me if that the PA field doesn't offer a salary more than or up to 200k? Even with years of experience? I know for sure NP does. Yes, location is great. A friend of mine is a PA at Good Samaritan Hospital and he started off at 80+ in the suburb.

Archived