HCE Question

Ok, so just got a call back for a position as a anesthesiologist tech. Would be helping set up ORs, stocking supplies, assisting the anesthesiologist etc. I'm going to call a couple of my prospective schools and see if they accept this type of job as HCE. 

In general though want to know your opinions on this. Is this a good opportunity? I would be working in one of the top 5 largest trauma 1 hospitals in the nation, with I'm hoping good exposure to MDs and PAs. Temping to just say yes as I've been searching for sometime, just worried about the hands on aspect. Don't want to commit and regret it / back out if its not meeting the requirements I need. 

I'm more interested in EM to be honest. Should I hold out for something more related to EM or just take this. Sooo many decisions haha.

Let me know your thoughts,

Ask them to clarify what "assisting the anesthesiologist" mean. Sounds like a great opportunity to get your feet wet. You can do this part-time (if no patient care opportunities) and ask around (once hired) if they have any patient care tech-assistant/nursing assistant position available that you can squeeze in. 

Do you have any certification? If not, take it and use it as a learning opportunity till you land something more hands on, if OR tech isn't enough. 

If yes, explain your license/certification and see if they will allow SOME patient care as needed.

• 1 month later...

Update: 

I have been working this job for the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately looks like there is going to be close to no hands on patient opportunities. Most my tasks are spent running between OR's gathering equipment / supplies for the anesthesia staff. I get to see a ton of trauma's / set up some of the IV lines (spike IV bag / set up fluid warmer). Staff is very helpful but it is a teaching hospital so I am competing with residents / interns / students for time. I've worked a couple of 16 hr shifts as I'm taking 15hrs of class and finals are this week. Typically walk close to 15 miles on the OR floor on those 16hr days. Really brutal.

I'm sure I would get some great LOR's from the staff if I stayed for a year, but the lack of hands on patient care is concerning. I called Emory today and they said no way they would count this experience. Don't want to be throwing a ton of time and energy into this if it isn't going to count.

I'm a certified EMT-B but jobs for EMTs are essentially non exsistant here in ATL without an EMT-A cert. So looks like I need to sign up for a class.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do? Will talk to manager and see if I have any other options within the OR that may have patient care involved. ( but from what I've seen so far it looks doubtful).

Update: 

I have been working this job for the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately looks like there is going to be close to no hands on patient opportunities. Most my tasks are spent running between OR's gathering equipment / supplies for the anesthesia staff. I get to see a ton of trauma's / set up some of the IV lines (spike IV bag / set up fluid warmer). Staff is very helpful but it is a teaching hospital so I am competing with residents / interns / students for time. I've worked a couple of 16 hr shifts as I'm taking 15hrs of class and finals are this week. Typically walk close to 15 miles on the OR floor on those 16hr days. Really brutal.

I'm sure I would get some great LOR's from the staff if I stayed for a year, but the lack of hands on patient care is concerning. I called Emory today and they said no way they would count this experience. Don't want to be throwing a ton of time and energy into this if it isn't going to count.

I'm a certified EMT-B but jobs for EMTs are essentially non exsistant here in ATL without an EMT-A cert. So looks like I need to sign up for a class.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do? Will talk to manager and see if I have any other options within the OR that may have patient care involved. ( but from what I've seen so far it looks doubtful).

Transfer to a patient care area. I agree, in most large hospitals the anesthesia tech is more like an anesthesia "equipment" tech. I'm sure you realize that internal transfers are infinitely easier than getting a job from outside of the organization. Just wait your six months out and transfer. Use the time to network with an area you like. That does sound like a heavy schedule, but its not the end of the world. Thats usually a decent paying job in the hosptal too...im sure you're getting paid well for those long days.

Archived