Feedback Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

Be as harsh as you need to be!!! :)  

I will never forget it was a hot, humid, typical Florida summer afternoon in the middle of June, but little did my family know that day was not going to be so typical. My mom, sisters, and I were cleaning the house and my dad was doing yard work, when all of a sudden my sister and I began to hear someone screaming. As we ran to the back window and peered out toward the sounds of the screams, I could have never prepared myself for what I was about to see. My dad was covered in flames, running to grass, falling on the ground and rolling around only for the dead grass to catch fire around him. My sister and I began to scream for my mom yelling hysterically that dad was on fire. When the paramedics arrived and saw how severe my dad’s burns were they decided he was to be airlifted two hours away to a hospital that has a state of the art burn unit. For me, it was that very experience that became my deciding factor I wanted a future profession in the healthcare field. After my dad burned himself I began to research the healthcare field to learn of the wide range of options it had to offer. I began focusing on my specific interests, talents, life goals and desires which helped me narrow my decision to physician assistant.

Each medical experience my family and I have gone through has further solidified my belief that I am meant to be a PA. Throughout the past couple of years I have surrounded myself by people who have taught me so much about medicine. I have been involved in surgery, wound care, and pediatrics which gave me the opportunity to work alongside of a surgical and pediatric physician assistant exposing me to different areas of this field. I enjoy observing the relationships PA’s have with their patients, the time they take to diagnose and educate, and the devotion they have to providing compassionate care. Each time I have talked to a PA, I realized that the passion that I observed in them was the same passion I found in myself.

Talking with patients and people I know I have seen a common theme where patients prefer to see physician assistants rather than doctors because they know their questions will be answered, more time will be spent with them, and they will receive the utmost care. I want to be able to give individuals this same amount of attention, which is a unique characteristic of physician assistants. Over the years I have noticed how much doctors rely on their PA’s. I enjoy having many responsibilities and making quick, challenging decisions. I am capable of forming a close, strong relationship not only with doctors and a healthcare team but the patients as well. I know that as a physician assistant I will wake up excited to go to work every morning, and I will truly love my job.  

During the past few years, there have been many changes in my life, but the one thing that has not changed is my dream of becoming a physician assistant. No matter what challenge came before me I remained self-motivated throughout my college experience keeping my goal in mind in everything that I did. I made certain I was taking all the required classes and getting good grades while also volunteering, working part time jobs and commuting two and a half hours to and from college as a student. All that I have experienced, both in and out of school, has formed me into the caring, hardworking, responsible and motivated person that I am today.

I think you are on the right track but I have to comment on your third paragraph.

"Talking with patients and people I know I have seen a common theme where patients prefer to see physician assistants rather than doctors because they know their questions will be answered, more time will be spent with them, and they will receive the utmost care. I want to be able to give individuals this same amount of attention, which is a unique characteristic of physician assistants."

I would either change this or remove it altogether. Are you saying docs don't have time for their patients? Be careful with this generalization. This isn't the case with everyone. I know a rheumatologist who will spend 1/2 or more if need be with his patients in the office. His PA only spends 10 or so minutes.

In your second paragraph, add more details about your experiences with PAs. You mention surgery, pediatrics, etc. In what setting and what function? Maybe you can give examples of things you learned from those PAs. Your essay will be what shows to the interview committee your passion but also your understanding of what a PA does for their patients.

Wish you the best fellow Floridian :) :)

Archived