South Dakota

Sign in to follow this  

0 topics in this forum

There are no topics in this forum yet

Sign in to follow this  
    • I work in the local jail 200-300 adult inmates lots of interesting folks   we are one of 300 triple certificate facilities in the entire country (out of about 4500 facilities)   The struggles are real - having to fit in a secure environment is tough at times, security runs all. Slowly they are realizing that medical goes through me (Medical Director just does supervision no patient contact) and after almost 4 years it is coming around. Not for the new grad, not for someone that can't take an order,    BUT the pluses - they let me practice the way I want (I follow the formulary, have the lowest pharmacy expense in state, and am okay telling the inmates "no" for stupid things)   Retirement vests in 10 years and I am a group group 2 (direct care and custody of inmates) and therefor get an extra 5 years of service added onto my time.  I have 4 years of military time I am buying back as well I am on call 24x7x345 (vacation sucks at 2 weeks, going to 3 at 4.5 years) and at times the call is nothing, other times it is tough   BUT I have a 20 hr commitment, work 3 days, and get paid as a physician (not salary, hourly and they hound me on my hours - which is fine cause I hate working for free and I function EXACTLY as the doc - I run the show)   So after 12 years (vest at 1/2 time for 20 hours per week, but 4 years military buy back and 10 years to vest) I am pension eligible and will have credit for 15 years - by my calculations I will get just over 30k/year from pension at that time.  Plus supplemental insurance till I die (or full insurance if age <65)   So my 1.5-2m in savings, and 32k per year, with free insurance is worth it (I think....)     ***I have heard horror stories about jobs in BOP or other state systems so make sure you know what you are getting into for facility. Also - VA pay sucks so don't bother
    • Joel,  401 match of up to 7%???  You must be young and don't realize how much money that could be when you retire not to mention 4 day work week.  Put crazy glue on your but and stay there!!
    • I considered doing the same.  Feedback from employees within the prison system (mostly nurses) is that providers are extremely understaffed.  They work very long/hard hours on a salary which is much lower than you would make outside of a state position/job.  I am not sure if these positions are overtime eligible or not.     A pension  would be nice, but those who I spoke with said... "Run and don't look back."
    • Hello friends! So I pretty much want opinions on whether or not I should bother applying this cycle since it's so late in the game. I have a 3.79 overall GPA, 3.8 science GPA Havent taken my GRE yet... 3000 hours+ as an Emergency dept nursing technician LOR's from a charge nurse, supervisor and head of the biomedical sciences dpt at my university Hit me with more questions/opinions/idk?????
    • Hey guys! I interviewed on 7/13 and was accepted on 7/17!! Good luck to all who are applying and interviewing. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More