RVU Bonus Structure for PAs- New Grad Surgery

Hi there!

My current General Surgery rotation has offered me a position working as a PA there and has prepared a compensation package for me as a new grad. The salary is low, which is why im producing a counter offer sometime this week. The position is in Southeast Georgia for a hospital based General and Vascular surgery practice. There are 4 docs and I would be working with each of them, mostly first assisting in the OR, but also rounding and doing consults in the hospital. Here is the breakdown:

Salary of $73,000

Quarter bonus potential of $3,000 provided you provide services in excess of 750 RVUs

Relocation assistance of $3,000

Loan forgiveness of $125 per month (up to $5,000 total)

Full benefits package

No call, no weekends.

I am inquiring about malpractice, CME money, professional dues, and PTO.

What do ya'll think? (I am getting the Southern Drawl down :=-0:)

I know the salary is low, I am thinking about countering at $83,000.

What I am really curious about is the bonus structure. I am not sure what 750 RVUs for PAs is like? For instance, with the docs, a lap chole is about 14 RVUs, and when they first assist each other, they get 10% of what the surgeon of the case is making. 3 RVUs for consults, and 1 RVU for a hospital visit (rounding). Is that comparable to what a PA would earn, RVU-wise? Is 750 RVUs per quarter even feasible?

Any information would be really helpful. I am an avid supporter of the forum, as it has helped me tremendously throughout my schooling!! :=D:

Hi there!

My current General Surgery rotation has offered me a position working as a PA there and has prepared a compensation package for me as a new grad. The salary is low, which is why im producing a counter offer sometime this week. The position is in Southeast Georgia for a hospital based General and Vascular surgery practice. There are 4 docs and I would be working with each of them, mostly first assisting in the OR, but also rounding and doing consults in the hospital. Here is the breakdown:

Salary of $73,000

Quarter bonus potential of $3,000 provided you provide services in excess of 750 RVUs

Relocation assistance of $3,000

Loan forgiveness of $125 per month (up to $5,000 total)

Full benefits package

No call, no weekends.

I am inquiring about malpractice, CME money, professional dues, and PTO.

What do ya'll think? (I am getting the Southern Drawl down :=-0:)

I know the salary is low, I am thinking about countering at $83,000.

What I am really curious about is the bonus structure. I am not sure what 750 RVUs for PAs is like? For instance, with the docs, a lap chole is about 14 RVUs, and when they first assist each other, they get 10% of what the surgeon of the case is making. 3 RVUs for consults, and 1 RVU for a hospital visit (rounding). Is that comparable to what a PA would earn, RVU-wise? Is 750 RVUs per quarter even feasible?

Any information would be really helpful. I am an avid supporter of the forum, as it has helped me tremendously throughout my schooling!! :=D:

The RVUs is hard to gauge. You make around 3.7 RVU for a consult and around 1 for a follow up. However, most followups are in the global period. Are you going to get credit for the followups even though you don't bill for it? Also the Medicare reimbursement for PA first assist is 14.5%. So you have to plot it out. If you did 10 consults a week that would be thirty RVUs per week. in three months it would be around 360. Another 10 lap choles per week and you are right there. On the other hand is that possible or feasible? If they have a PA there do they make the bonus every time? some of the time? None of the time? If this is easily made then they are essentially offering you $85k a year. Thats in the 75th percentile for GA new grads. If you can't make the bonus they are offering you $73k which is just below the mean for new grads in GA. Also remember that you have no call or weekends, something thats pretty rare in a surgical PA job. You really need to know what the workload is going to be to know what this is worth though.

• 3 weeks later...

Boggie,

The salary is definitely low. I like the counter offer at 83K. I wouldn't take anything for less than 80K plus a full benefits package (health, dental, cme, 401k, dea). The jobs are definitely out there, so don't take the first offer you get out of fear. Help your fellow new grads out by bringing the average starting salaries up!! Good luck!

I agree above. Salary is very low and tough to tell if a bonus is attainable, especially for a new grad who is relatively new to the practice. Best thing to do is talk with PAs working there and gauge their response. My only concern to countering with 83 is they might meet you in the middle around 77-78 which would still be low. You also need to find out the hours to get a better idea of the total offer. Make sure you stick with your guns and know your value because jobs are out there. Good luck

Archived