• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how many seats are still open, but I did interview in the first group and was accepted. My stats:

Undergrad Ed School: Delaware Tech. Community College (A.S. Paramedic Technology), Wilmington University (B.S. Healthcare Administration)

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 4.0

Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.0 (still had O-Chem, Biochem, Bio I/II, and Chem II outstanding. Going FT to finish them up and didn't want to wait another cycle.)

Master's in Business Administration, GPA 3.5ish (hated every class!)

Age at application time: 33

1st GRE:

162 verbal

142 quantitative

3.0 writing. (Awful, I know! I went in cold with no prep at all.)

Direct Patient Care:

10 years FT/paid paramedic

5 years FT/paid EMT-B

I had quite a few outstanding pre-req's when I applied so my acceptance is provisional. My GPA looks really high, but will probably end up being around a 3.6 to 3.8 after I finish O-chem and Chem II because I don't know that I will be able to pull A's in them. Hope this helps!

@johna877 I actually do not know how many people will be interviewed. 

My stats:

Cumulative GPA : 3.755

Pre-req GPA: 3.90

250 HCE (CNA job, started working in May, every other weekend)

26 PA shadowing hours

30hrs Patient care unit volunteer at the hospital

1200hrs research experience (NSF-summer research experience every summer since freshman yr at Marquette University, UW-Madison, UW-Oshkosh)

Other work experience

60hrs as an academic tutor (tutored Gen Biology, human anatomy and college Algebra)

200hrs as a Dining Assistant (auditing, billing e.t.c)

So, as you probably figured, my HCE is very little compared to other PA school applicants. Don't be discouraged people..Anyway, I'm hoping my interview goes well!

Thanks SoniaU! I read online they interview up until February. Do you know if that's still true for this application cycle?

I spoke with someone on the phone in the admissions office a week or so ago, and she said that they interview through February.  Fingers crossed for those of us waiting to hear still!

aanghila, are you waiting for an interview or are you waiting to hear back from your interview? Just to give you my timeline, I applied on July 31st and was called for an interview in early October. I got my acceptance letter in the mail 4 weeks later. PCOM doesn't consider your application complete unless you have all of your paperwork and LoR's sent in... are you sure you have everything completed? I had to get a 4th LoR written and sent by an MD after I applied because for whatever reason, I over looked the "one LoR from a PA, NP, or MD".

FuturePA, I'll probably be sending out my depost and paperwork this year. I accepted an invite from Arcadia University because their deadline and the date I received my PCOM acceptance didn't quite match up, but PCOM was my first choice so I'll unfortunately be eating that Arcadia deposit lol.

Hi everyone,

I had an interview in late October and I just got accepted into PCOM. I thought I would share some info.

Stats at the time of my CASPA submission are as follows:

BA in Neuroscience, 2013

Science GPA: 3.92

Overall GPA: 3.88

GRE: 165Math; 160Verbal; 4.5Writing

Certified as a Phlebotomist and EKG technician

120hrs internship as a Medical Assistant

50hrs shadowing a PA in the ER

2 years of research at a Lab of Opiate Pharmacology, published in 2 journals

Just know that if you got an interview, they already like you. They feel that your grades, credentials, etc. make you a good candidate. They want to use the interview as a means of assessing your readiness for the PA profession and for their PA program. They want to see if you are mature enough based on your life experiences, motivated enough based on what you have done so far to pursue PA studies, and if your personality and desires line up with the belief system of the program. I'm sure you've heard this countless times but seriously- just be yourself. Be confident. Be proud of what you've achieved. Try not to be nervous and over-think things. I didn't spend days rehearsing my answers for interview questions and didn't have an answer ready for every question that they could possibly ask me. Just have a concrete understanding of your past experiences and how they have shaped you, why you want to be a PA, why a PA as opposed to other health professions, why you want to go to their school, and what difficulties/problems you expect to see in your line of work and how you plan on tackling them. These aren't test questions. These are things you that you should honestly have a good understanding of if you have chosen to pursue the PA path. 

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone.

Archived