NHSC 2013 (National Health Service Corps Scholarship)

Congrats! I'm glad to see that PAs are being accepted. If the forums are any indication, they are pulling less heavily from our ranks.

I should add that my perceptions could very well be completely inaccurate. NHSC may have accepted quite a few PAs, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My "Under Review" status changed today to "Not accepted for an award" Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to here.

Mine did as well. Very disappointing. At least one other person that I know had the same thing happen at the same time. I'm guessing that it was the same for every applicant that hadn't heard back from NHSC already.

Oh, well. So it goes.

I received an acceptance notification Friday, Aug. 30. Congrats to my fellow NHSC scholars! And to those who didn't get it this time around, I hope you'll apply again next year. I'm happy to answer any questions or help out however I can, based on what worked for me. Best wishes to everyone.

I'd also like to know the essay prompts.

(Possible dumb question) Is it still feasible to apply for the scholarship if your long term career goals are surgically oriented? I'd love to experience rural PC for a period of my career, but It's not something I see myself doing into retirement. What's the deal?

• 4 weeks later...

So in case anyone is interested regarding this year's scholarship recipients.

Total applications: 1700

Awards give: 182

Of the 182 recipients: (close to these %'s but not completely accurate)

MD = 27%

DO = 24%

Dentist = 23%

PA = 16%

Midwife = 1%

NP = 7%

The essay prompts involve your interest in primary care, working in an under-served population (or HPSA), and your experience working with these populations.

• 3 months later...

Hi! I'll be starting PA School in June 2014. I heard about this scholarship and I'm interested in applying! Do students generally apply AFTER the 1st year of PA school or should I be filling it out this year?

Any info or advice about anything related to the NHSC Scholarship would be appreciated! To those who won, may I ask what your stats/background is?

@TDubz - when do you start school? If you start in 2014 you should apply now. Awards are given in September/October so if you start before then, you will need to plan on taking out loans as a back up plan because there are no guarantees. Although you can apply for the NHSC scholarship during the second year as well, it is only worth doing so if you are in a longer program. Meaning, the minimum payback time is two years, even if you only get one year of scholarship. Best to apply before your first year to get maximum benefit. You will need to pay attention to their website - the application will open quickly and might not be open for long.

Woodsters,

I am part of the incoming class for UF, so I'm assuming you know when I start school (June 30, 2014) ;)  I am on the NHSC listserv to get notified about the 2014 application cycle, and I believe it opens in March, so a couple more months to go! I realize that this scholarship is very competitive, so I was just wondering what kind of person/background they're looking for in their pool of applicants.

Thanks!

I thought so. :-)

They are essentially looking for an individual who shows commitment to working with underserved people - not those looking just for a free ride to school. They also look some at merit (ie grades/test scores) and need.

If you are a Florida resident attending UF it is worth applying in the first year but not if you wait until the second. Your tuition isn't high enough (sounds strange, right) for it to be worth paying back two years time for one year's tuition. If you don't get the scholarship the first year, just wait until you graduate and try for the loan repayment.

I went to UF on the scholarship and it was VERY worthwhile. I just finished my two year commitment in August and am still at my site!

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I am applying for this years scholarship and had a question for those who have been awarded. I start PA school in May and I am currently in my last science pre-req this semester. I received my bachelors in 2009. In regards to the academic letter of reccomendation I am not sure who would be appropriate to ask given my student status. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, who are some of the people others chose for the second LOR? Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a 2012 PA School graduate and NHSC Scholar. In my year there were 207 scholarships awarded and I found out in Oct of my first semester that I had gotten the scholarship. I did hear that the process has changed a bit and is mostly online so recipients hear sooner. That is good news! I took out loans because my program started in July but the NHSC promptly paid all loans when I was awarded the scholarship. I have 6 months left to fulfilling my two-year commitment. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. good luck to all of you! 

Archived