NHSC 2013 (National Health Service Corps Scholarship)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No news on my end either but it is really early. I believe this is the earliest students have started hearing back compared to past years. Let's just try to stay reasonably optimistic. Yet, I know I'll be checking my email every 2 minutes now!

My thoughts exactly. And I will probably be checking my email every 30 seconds or so.

I submitted my application just before the deadline and received an email from the NHSC on Tuesday, July 23, telling me I needed to log in to my NHSC applicant account to receive an update. When I logged in, I received the following message, as well as some instructions regarding additional steps to be completed: "Congratulations! Your application has been identified as a possible recipient for a 2013 NHSC Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) award. This is not a guarantee of an award. ... Your overall Application Status is: Finalist for Award."

Hey yall! I got an email yesterday as well saying that an update has been made on my application so I just checked it and it says I am a finalist! We have to submit a W4 and another verification of enrollment/good academic standing by the 31st. Hopefully we'll find out officially soon after the 31st!

Hey yall! I got an email yesterday as well saying that an update has been made on my application so I just checked it and it says I am a finalist! We have to submit a W4 and another verification of enrollment/good academic standing by the 31st. Hopefully we'll find out officially soon after the 31st!

Congrats! Hoping there's another round of announcements coming...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm just checking to see if there has been any activity since the first round of applicants got notification of their status a few weeks ago. I'm still holding out hope since I wasn't chosen in the first round. I'm wondering if there is a "rolling admissions" style selection practice. Maybe we're all just waiting for those that were notified to accept or reject before the next round of notifications goes out. Any thoughts?

Congratulations to those of you that were selected already.

Thanks jts!!! We're all still anxiously waiting to find out if we're recipients. I received my "Finalist" email on July 23rd but my application still says "Under Final Review". Do you remember by chance about when you found out? I received a voicemail from NHSC asking if I received an email confirming something but I've called back about 3 times now (after not receiving any such email) and still haven't heard anything else regarding what that was about. Where are you working now though and what has your experience been like? Thanks for posting!

I guess things were different in 2010 when I was awarded the scholarship, because I didn't find out unitil the Fall of 2010, in Sept or Oct. So I had to take out tuition loans which the NHSC promptly paid. I am working in an underserved health clinic and loving it. My experiences with the NHSC have been totally positive, from the scholarship to the relocation (cross-country) process. They accommodated my needs and reimbursed me promptly for any costs. The only thing that was not covred was my car; they only pay for vehicle transport if you serve in Alaska or Hawaii. But my clinic paid for that anyway so it was all good.

Looks like there has been some activity on the MD/DO/Dentistry side of things. Some have gotten their final acceptances, etc. Not looking too great on our end, it seems. Suppose I won't give up hope QUITE yet, but I think I'm moving in that direction!

Will be awfully difficult to go in a primary care direction with the amount of debt I'm taking on. I know lots of us are in the same spot, so I won't whine too much. Guess we'll just keep waiting to find out more.

Hopefully some of you guys have gotten good news from NHSC!

Archived