• 3 weeks later...
The OP is basically just asking for some leeway where none should be given. If you are trying to look for grade forgiveness, you probably do not have that good of a chance for acceptance into PA school anyway.

Just my 2 cents though.

Because I am certain you know the OP personally and you are intimately aware of the circumstances that lead to him wanting to have grades forgiven.

Grade forgiveness is also called a "second chance". Many students (myself included) struggled with undergraduate grades due to lack of maturity, illness, family problems, etc. Unfortunately CASPA does not allow grade forgiveness and most of the schools don't, either. I have been receiving rejections due to a low science GPA (from 2004-2008) even tho I have a 3.8 GPA in the past 44 credits (from 2011-current, all science). It seems that nearly 9 year and 44 credits later I am still haunted by my past.

I called the programs that rejected me and their directors said, "We only go by what CASPA says. We don't have the time to look at each applicant on an individual basis." That is really disappointing as it might be rejecting some incredibly well suited students who are highly motivated, mature, and well prepared.

I know that DO schools allow for grade replacement while MD schools do grade averaging for classes retaken. It's time that all PA schools adopt the DO grade replacement model. If they did then my GPA would be 3.8 instead of 2.7. I imagine that the few PA schools that do allow grade replacement are few in number.

Because I am certain you know the OP personally and you are intimately aware of the circumstances that lead to him wanting to have grades forgiven.

Thats what I was thinking. There are so many applicants that have hit rough patches that still deserve a spot in any PA program if they have put forth the effort. I am thinking the OP meant grade replacement, which does happen at some schools. Sorry twsurfsnow, I don't have a list for you.. CASPA does have you list both times a class is taken so even though it may affect your GPA, schools will still see your better grade! Stay optimistic!

The OP is basically just asking for some leeway where none should be given. If you are trying to look for grade forgiveness, you probably do not have that good of a chance for acceptance into PA school anyway.

Just my 2 cents though.

Einstein failed math. Should he have been denied any future in math and physics because of that? What sort of world would this be if we never gave second chances?

I don't know about "grade forgiveness" per se but some programs will weigh the last 60 units more heavily and/or allow for grade replacement so if you took bio 1a and got a D then retook it and got a B they calculate the B as opposed to averaging them to a C.

I am a first time applicant, and only applied to two programs (SJVC and Stanford/Foothill) last year. I was wait-listed at Stanford/Foothill and accepted to SJVC, neither use CASPA by the way.

I submitted both of those applications with "Academic Renewal/Grade Forgiveness" from a community college where that I attended in 2003-04. Where I signed up for classes and could not continue attending due to personal reasons. I ended up with 6 F's there, and although they are still shown on my transcript, the classes are not calculated in my GPA.

In 2010, when I got off of active duty I started college again. I completed my bachelors degree in 3 years, Fall 2010 to Spring 2013, I completed 127 units in that time frame with a 3.57 cumulative GPA, and I start my program next month.

So to answer the OP's question; no there is not a list, but the programs that will consider applicants as a whole, instead of high GPAs and ZERO HCE are out there. You just have to work for it and make yourself a desirable applicant. Also, you have to be willing to move.

Prove that your past grades do not reflect who you are, and that you can succeed in PA school.

Some programs will consider an applicant with a gpa below 3.0 provided they write to explain circumstances and the last 64 SH are 3.0 or higher. And most will NOT waive pre-requisite course minimum GPA regardless. Realize, application requirements only make you visible. They do not guarantee an interview or selection. So the better you look on paper the better odds you'll get seen.

Good luck.

Einstein failed math. Should he have been denied any future in math and physics because of that? What sort of world would this be if we never gave second chances?

Einstein never failed math, that is an urban legend. He taught himself calculus before he was 15 and was frequently at the top of his class.

This has nothing to do with OP or grade forgiveness. I just hate it when people say Einstein failed math or was a bad student. It isn't true at all.

My first post was harsh, sorry about that. I was not saying the OP has no chance, but it is just not that good. A lot of other applicants have pretty good grades, and someone needing a few grade/s replaced seems like poor competition. I am aware of schools noting an upward trend of grades, which other posters have mentioned.

Not saying the OP has no chance, but if someone else has great grades, HCE and everything else, why should you receive more consideration for the special case of your shortcomings? I don't mean to say that your setbacks are petty, just that the application orocess is a competition.

Do some searching but they are out there.

Western University honors grade replacements.

The Touro schools look at you as an applicant and possible provider and not just your stats.

During my interview they asked me about my poor performance (2.31 cGPA CASPA undergrad w/ academic probation). I answered truthfully and they saw the positive grade trending and accepted me. Keep in mind I had a 2.93 when I applied with a 4.0 in 12 of my most recent science prerequisites and a 3.7 masters GPA.

I specifically said in my personal statement and interview "I cannot go back and change what happened over 12 years ago. I can only show you that I've learned from my mistakes and as a person I've grown, matured, and have different priorities and skills than when I was 18. I hope that achieving a 4.0 in my last 34 units, and achieving a 3.7 masters GPA along with my work history and job roles proves to you what I am truly capable of and what kind of person I am today."

Anyhow.. Keep at it.. And keep improving your application and you'll get in eventually.

Best of luck to you!

Like others have said, if you need to worry about grade replacement, you are going to be a hard sell. The issue is not your particular grade replacement. It is the fact that most of the 10 other people who want into your seat have no need for grade replacement.

Most applicants for PA school would be fairly competitive for medical school.

Einstein never failed math, that is an urban legend. He taught himself calculus before he was 15 and was frequently at the top of his class.

This has nothing to do with OP or grade forgiveness. I just hate it when people say Einstein failed math or was a bad student. It isn't true at all.

Thanks for clarifying that. Didn't know it.

The college/university may choose to afford you grade forgiveness when calculating your GPA for graduation, however, CASPA wants every grade of every class you took (true when I filled it out), regardless of forgiveness/retaking. Utilizing the personal statement and even the supplemental application (if required) is your chance to paint the picture you want admission committees to visualize.

• 2 months later...

Thank you everyone for your responses this is my situation and why I was asking that question.

My undergraduate GPA was a little above a 3.0 due to grade forgiveness, however without grade forgiveness as CASPA will calculate, it is in between a 2.75 and a 3.0 (retook organic chemistry, but received Bs or higher in upper level micro and immunology). My grades were bad as an undergraduate because I lost both my parents during that time and I was left on my own with no help or support from anyone.

However, my postbac consisted of Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, Diagnostic Microbiology, Forensic Chemistry, Parasitology and some animal classes that left me with a post bac GPA greater than 3.75. I am currently working on my MPH and at the moment have a 4.0.

In regards to HCE, my dad was a surgeon, so I grew up in a healthcare setting with a lot of healthcare experience. In addition, I have shadowed a family practice physician for 135 hours, I worked as a patient transporter/EKG tech for about 3000 hours at a hospital, before I was hired at the hospital, I volunteered there for around 100 hours as a patient transporter. In addition, I have received a Colorado QMAP certification, but I have not pursued a job with that. I am currently looking for a PA to shadow, but have had no luck.

In addition my current GRE is 152 verbal, 150 quantitative, 4.0 writing. I plan on retaking until at least >157 in both sections.

Thank you

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Einstein never failed math, but he was at the bottom of his doctorate class and couldn't secure an assistant professorship, and could only find work as a patent clerk through a friend.  He also spent the last part of his career pursuing a bunk theory to explain quantum mechanics because he did not like the philosophical implications of action at a distance.

You will find schools that actually like to see people that have overcome adversity.  Many admissions personnel I have talked to profess that a 4.0 by itself can be boring, how will they know if you have some hardship/challenge during PA school that you will be able to carry on?  There are programs out there that will look at the last 60 credits as others have said, but applying broadly and early with a strong personal statement will be the difference for you.  My GPA stats are not so different from yours and I've received multiple interviews already this year.

As for shadowing a PA, I know around here I just contacted a local hospital network HR department and they kindly set me up with a willing PA.  It is a great way to network and as it ended up he lives 3 minutes up the street from me and now writes one of my letters.

Archived