Failing a course during last year of college...

Hello

I am looking to apply this year to PA Graduate programs. I was just looking for some insight as to my chances for acceptance. I am a recent college graduate that completed her degree in Biology in 3 years, however, graduating a year early due to finances (I explain in my Personal Statement) resulted in my GPA dropping to a 2.8 and failing a course my last year. If I have a strong work ethic, was devoted to developing community during my time in college, and accumulated 2500 clinical hours during my undergrad, do I still have a chance of getting in somewhere? Are there programs that do not care as much about the GPA and more so about the person as a whole. I feel confident that if I were to get an interview I could hopefully get in somewhere, I'm just worried about being rejected before having the opportunity to interview.

Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback?

Hi Natasha

You need to repeat that failed course and NAIL the GRE. Also, you better have a terse yet well written essay as to your circumstances -- eluding to your academic ability and proving you WILL be able to complete a hard intense graduate program. Everything is possible but you have an uphill battle and will need evidence to support your selection.

Good luck.

No one can answer those questions but a real admissions committee, so apply where you think you'd like to go, and hope for the best. If you're looking for more general impressions, then...

2.8 is a very low GPA, and one failed course doesn't account for it. If you graduated in 3 years, AND racked up 2500 hours over that time, the easy response is that you spread yourself too thin, and you took on too much, possibly to the detriment of everything. The pointed question, the kind an adcom would ask in order to see how you think and how you present your case, would be whether it would have been better to slow down, do less at once, and get better results.

Bear in mind, there are no correct answers to questions like that, but they can be a very useful way to see how an applicant thinks.

I agree one failing grade doesn't drop ones GPA that much. 2500 is nice but over 3 years that is only about 16 hours a week. Retake the class and other classes that are upperlevel that will help in PA school and Nail them. Also PA school is about 40 hours a week sitting in class and probably another 30-40 hours minimum outside of class the first year. The second year is clinicals 80 hours a week and studying on top of that. So how are you going to handle this? That is what you need to be able to explain.

The problem is not what the programs want, it is the students you are competing with. Most of them will have a substantially higher GPA with a rare "C" and nothing below that. You can patch this up, but you will be chasing a moving target.

Students, please take note: you don't have much room for mistakes. There are some things that you might do to your acadmeic record that you will never be able to rehabilitate. Proceed very carefully and take your studies seriously. There are 10 (or more) people trying to get into the seat you are trying to get into.

Archived