LA New Graduate

Hi All!

I have recently relocated to the LA area from the east coast to be near my family. I have only been out here for about 2 weeks and have had a few interviews but am having trouble finding continuously new open jobs in the area. I know that SO many PA positions are available by word of mouth, which for me is difficult as I am new to the area and don't have many medical connections not having gone to school/rotations out here. Does anyone have any idea about PA job fairs at hospitals in the area? I know on the east coast, large hospitals such as NY-Presbyterian, will hold an open interview day for PA's and new grads. Or any tips on networking out here? I joined CAPA which has provided the most legitimate potential interviews but am still feeling the lag. I don't ideally want to go back to the east coast for work, but if things don't change around here soon I may have to!

I'm still finishing up my clinical year but have looking at jobs in S. California for a few months. I agree that the CAPA job board is a good resource, but I've also been looking at the AAPA postings, indeed and even Craigslist. I think it really depends upon which part of the LA area you are interested and specialty. I haven't heard of any open interviews like you describe. If you provide some more details about what type of position you're looking for, I'd be happy to pass along anything that I come across.

Thanks for responding! i've also been searching all the sites you listed as well as Glassdoor, AHA careers, and even some major hospital websites. Since PA school ended I feel more open to what field i choose-I am open to almost anything but am leaning towards ER or urgent care. I have moved to the mid-city/miracle mile area of LA but I'm willing to commute a little if the job is the right fit. Ive passed PANCE and already have a CA license. Any info would be helpful! Thanks so much

I was in the same situation one year ago. It is extremely difficult as a new grad to find a pa job in so cal. Half of those new grad positions are pain management or med spas, which in my opinion isn't really aren't good first jobs. From my experience it does not seem like the hospitals want to hire new grads.

The only thing I can suggest while job searching is to learn Spanish if you don't already know it or it will cut you out of half of all jobs in this region.

• 2 months later...

Archived