Need help with loans: major crisis

Hi everyone,

So during undergrad I was fortunate enough to not take out any loans. However, I have a dilemma. I am currently not a degree seeking student and have to pay out of pocket for my two prereqs left for PA school. What I'm afraid of is paying for PA grad school because I know I will not be able to pay for that out of pocket. Anyhow, I tried to receive a loan for my two prereqs and did not qualify because my parents have bad credit and my husband has too many loans of his own to pay back and was not able to help me cosign (he has too many loans from med school, car expenses, and credit card debt). So, I was wondering what options are out there. I do not have a credit history and don't know if that's my only way to receive loans? I honestly don't know that much about loans although I have done my own research.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Only the Grad Plus loans are credit based, none of the loans for Grad school are need based. You won't have any problem getting the 20,500 allowed yearly for the regular federal loans but may have trouble with the Grad Plus. Though the financial advisor I talked to at my school said even when people get denied you can appeal it  and usually get approved. Don't let money stop you from going to PA school! I am slightly terrified at the amount of loans I am having to take (relocating, living expenses, and school) but in the end it will be worth it. Also, if you're married  I don't believe you have to put your parents information on the FAFSA. I would suggest just in general that you start establishing some credit history. It's really important for the future (home buying, cars, etc.) that you have some credit. Bad credit is actually better than no credit. So whether you get a small credit card or something to start - just pay a bill with it that you would pay directly anyways (utilities, cable, internet) and pay it off monthly. I'm not sure how old you are but as you get older this will become increasingly important! I started at 20 and am 26 with a 771 credit score, I don't have to worry about loans or anything which has been a huge relief. Just BE RESPONSIBLE and DON'T miss payments! :)

Well there are pros and cons to refinancing your loans, most of these banks/companies also allow forbearance and deferment and lessening your interest rate which is a very great thing.I used Sofi which answered me very quickly and took my loans from 8.95 to 3.3% to say i was in shock would be a lie.I am paying that thing down like a maniac.Feel free to sign up with them and see what they can do for your interest rate.Not every one will qualify, but it sure doesn't hurt to try.Here is my referral link for anyone to use and you get $100 off if your loans are transferred to them. Sofi Referral link. http://friends.sofi.com/3bmbL

Archived