Surgery Contract Negotiations

Hey Fellow PA's, I would like your opinions on what I should do.

When I graduated from PA school, I worked as an Internal Medicine PA for two years where I saw inpatient and outpatient patients. Then I changed to neurosurgery. I thought my salary was low, but the company told me it's because I have no experience in surgery and that we can revisit my contract in 1 year. Well, my 1 year is almost up. I would like to know what I should ask because I don't want to be unrealistic but I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

My current contract: $78,000 salary, $1,100 for CME, 3 weeks paid vacation, malpractice insurance paid, health/dental/life insurance (I paid part of it). I'm on-call 10 days out of the month (I do not get paid for being on call or when I get called out). On average, I work 60 hrs a week, but some weeks I'm pushing 80 hrs, make rounds 7 days a week (I'm the only PA), I assist in surgery, make rounds in the hospital, and I see clinic patients.

So, having two years of internal medicine and one year of neurosurgery, what should I ask for in this contract negotiation?

Thank You!

Although I'm only a student, 78k for 60-80 hrs a week is laughable and pulls down the standard for all PAs across the board. What is that, 25-28/hr?? Seriously? I think as a 3 yr PA, you need to renegotiate for way more base, and at the least some call coverage pay or consider leaving this place. It sounds like you're not valuing your worth. With a year in neuro, I'd be clamoring for upwards of 90k+ at a minimum. Shoot, I'd go for 90+ as a new grad.

When I graduated from PA school, I worked as an Internal Medicine PA for two years where I saw inpatient and outpatient patients. Then I changed to neurosurgery. I thought my salary was low, but the company told me it's because I have no experience in surgery and that we can revisit my contract in 1 year. Well, my 1 year is almost up. I would like to know what I should ask because I don't want to be unrealistic but I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

My current contract: $78,000 salary, $1,100 for CME, 3 weeks paid vacation, malpractice insurance paid, health/dental/life insurance (I paid part of it). I'm on-call 10 days out of the month (I do not get paid for being on call or when I get called out). On average, I work 60 hrs a week, but some weeks I'm pushing 80 hrs, make rounds 7 days a week (I'm the only PA), I assist in surgery, make rounds in the hospital, and I see clinic patients.

So, having two years of internal medicine and one year of neurosurgery, what should I ask for in this contract negotiation?

Thank You!

The 2010 median salary for Neurosurgery 1-4 years was $90k. I would use that as a base and add a bunch for the hours you are working. You could argue you are essentially doing two jobs so you should get $180k. Talk to AAPA and see if you can get a salary survey for neurosurg in your area. If you look at the hours you are probably making below average money for above average hours.

Hey Fellow PAs, I would like your opinions on what I should do.

Thank You!

It absolutely amazes me how bright, intelligent and educated PA's get shafted on a regular basis on contract and negotiating issues.

CONTRACTS and NEGOTIATION and are as important as your medical knowledge base!!!

Read, talk to experienced business people, do whatever it is to learn this valuable concept.

DON'T SPEND YEARS OF YOUR LIFE AND MANY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON A MEDICAL EDUCATION ONLY TO GO TO THE NEGOTIATING TABLE WITH LITTLE TO ZERO SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE.

To the OP: You sir/madam are getting bent over and reamed without so much as a drop of lube, so much so that it is hard to feel sorry for you.

It is hard to know where to even start...

It's always the same thing, people complain on this part of the forum, I try to instill some reality, they are never heard from again. It disgusts me.

However...I will continue to be altruistic this one last time...

PM me if you want to try to rectify this mess.

Thank You!

I took a first job at a teaching hospital and not with a private group so I have no contract negotiating experience, however, I agree that you're getting screwed. Despite your lack of surgical skills, two years in internal medicine is HUGE. You certainly learned a lot of valuable procedural skills outside of the OR and increased your knowledge about a wide range of medical conditions. Also, you learned a lot of things that new grads don't have -- like how to manage a much larger patient list than we do as students, right? All of this is stuff you don't need to be trained on so you'll be able to just focus on neurosurgery specifics. Where do you live? That can also make a difference, but I doubt you live in the middle of nowhere with an extremely low cost of living or else you wouldn't be concerned. I work in cardiac surgery, I have a friend who works in ortho surgery, one who works in heme/onc, and another in the ED and we're all making 7-10K more than you as NEW GRADS!! Yes, we all live in the northeast in areas with a high cost of living, but regardless, the hourly rate we all get is much more than yours (since you're likely salaried for 40hrs/wk but you end up working 60-80). You should be getting paid for on-call time and DEFINITELY get paid extra for when you go in!

I think first you should need to consult AAPA salary report and speak with others in neurosurgery where you live to see what is reasonable and FAIR to ask for. You worked hard to become a PA and you need to be compensated appropriately. If the office where you work can't appreciate and value your worth then I would start looking for employment with someone who will.

Try contacting Tricia Marriott, PA-C who is the Director of Reimbursement Advocacy at AAPA. When we had all of our pre-graduation lectures she told us to email her any questions related to contracts so I'm sure she'd be willing and able to help you. Her email is TMarriott@aapa.org. If it makes you feel better, one of my friends did not have a lawyer read or try to negotiate her contract prior to signing and they told her she wasn't entitled to any vacation time until she worked there for A YEAR. She ended up getting the office manager to give her one of her three weeks for next year this year, which means she'll only get two weeks next year, but oh well. Make sure you fight for what you deserve this time around! Good luck! :)

Archived