What did you do to prepare for your surgery rotation?

I disagree.. I did lots of closing in my surgery rotation and my preceptor stated he felt comfortable because it appeared that I had practiced a fair amount when he let me do it the 1st time. Bottom line in rotations is to be willing and volunteer to do stuff, worst they could say is no!

You don't need to work on suturing. Odds are you won't do all that much anyways

You may or you may not depending (I closed every case and I did over a hundred)... however...

you want to be ready if he passes you the reins so...

know how to do hand ties (you tube) and a subcue running stitch.

Grab some suture from the facility and practice on some fatback or a pigs foot.

good luck

I was a clinical preceptor for 10 years plus in CT surgery and my 2 cents is know how to tie sutures well. Practice practice, if you are allowed to participate in the case and you fumble around, less likely you will get more to do but if you show some proficiency in the most basic skill of tying- you will get more to do. If you tie your shoes, do your 1st throw as if you are doing your 1st throw square knot in surgery. Good luck and have fun- one of my best rotations.

You don't need to work on suturing. Odds are you won't do all that much anyways.

I got Surgical Recall, with the MP3 version, and listened to it over, and over, and over..

Agree with surgical recall... way disagree about the suturing. I closed every case I scrubbed on, from little inguinal hernias to several double mastectomies. A lot factors in to what you're allowed to do in the OR, but I was glad I came prepared to suture. That said, I didn't (and would not recommend) spending hours practicing suturing.

Besides Surgical Recall, brush up on anatomy and read about fluid replacement and basic post-op care.

Archived