I've begun my CASPA application for this year (my first) and don't know if I should report the total amount of hours I have accrued or a less accurate non-wait time only estimate? It comes to about 2,700 total hours as a EMT-B over 1 year and 3 months. Some programs seem to want only non-wait time included hours and others do not mention that specifically. What would you suggest?

-Thanks

What does CASPA ask for (this year:)? That would be my first instinct.

I was in the same situation and I put all my hours in because I felt that it would be difficult to break out the exact amount of hours I spent caring for patients. I did make it very clear in the description that I worked 12 hour shifts and ran, on average, 1-2 calls a shift, plus an occasional call from home. Otherwise, I felt like I would be making up numbers and in my mind that would be just as bad as lying on the application because I truly didn't know exactly how many calls I ran. I did try to get the ambulance service to pull the report, but they could only go as far back as the current year which wasn't very useful.

I also had a full time job at an ER, so the ambulance hours weren't as essential to the application. However, I didn't pull out the hours I spent stocking or killing time in triage late at night when the waiting room was empty, so why should an ambulance EMT do the same thing? It seems unfair to me.

I would make it clear what you did and how many calls you ran, and let each school judge the experience on it's own merits. You can't go wrong with being honest.

GC

I calculated my hours as 56 hours a week (due to the 24 on 48 off schedule of the fire EMS service which averages to 56 hours / week) * 52 weeks * 5 years of service. My program admissions coordinator stated this is acceptable. The estimation does not reflect the actual time I spent with patients; however, during down time we are to be readily availible and prepared to respond to any situation. Therefore, we are constantly training. So my answer is to estimate to the best of your ability within reason.

Archived