Pediatric Salaries

Yearly income (excluding benefits)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Yearly income (excluding benefits)

• Under $70k (hopefully your a new grad)
    • $70k-$90k (decent pay)
    • $90k-$100k (earning some respect)
    • $100k-$120k (have your own patient following)
    • Over $120k (printing the money in the basement)

I work in a very busy peds office with hours similar to an ER (8 AM- 10 PM seven days a week). PAs work 40 hour/week and see 8-10 patients/hour.

I understand that this is not typical for the average peds office, but I am curious to see what the average income is for peds PAs.

Please include years of experience and whether you take night call.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I worked in a very busy peds office where we easily saw 10 peds pts/hr. When the internet appeared that went down drastically b/c parents realized that their children had viral URIs and we don't give ABX for a virus. There are a lot of asthma cases b/c parents of asthmatic children refuse to give up smoking......

Thumbs up there Marilyn. As an MA (for now) in a busy peds office (4 docs at any given time, so about 15-22pt/hr) we see sooo many asthma cases due (likely) to parental cigarette use. It's very sad.

I worked in a very busy peds office where we easily saw 10 peds pts/hr. When the internet appeared that went down drastically b/c parents realized that their children had viral URIs and we don't give ABX for a virus. There are a lot of asthma cases b/c parents of asthmatic children refuse to give up smoking......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Each practitioner (doc, PA or NP) is scheduled 2-3 patients every fifteen minutes.

That leaves enough time for a brief introduction, a handful of questions, a couple physical tests... that's about it. It can take 3+ minutes to adequately educate a patient on a topic, let alone that being the ENTIRE time you are given for that patient.

Some of the peds clinics in my area have algorithms the MAs follow for specific complaints. Most of the work is done BEFORE doc sees pt, including nebulizer treatments, x-rays and lab. Scripts just need signature and doc places a stethoscope on a belly or chest...very sad. Of course, many of these kiddos end up in our unit a few days later either dehydrated or in resp. distress.

Because our office has such long hours of operation combined with the fact that we area open seven days a week our patients have easy access to close follow-up. Introductions are not needed as most patients have seen each practitioner on multiple occasions. A pediatric ill physical is usually very focused. Three minutes of patient education is about 1 minute longer than the parent is listening to you. Most of the patient flow is for Medicaid patients who utilize our office or the ED on a whim because they have no co-pay. We have little to no wait time so a visit to the office might only take a total of 20 minutes out of their day. I am sure that if Medicaid charged as little as $5 for a co-pay the number of visits would fall by 20%. This is a topic for another thread.

Woah woah woah, the MA gives a SABA purely based on an algorithm without a clinicians order? Isn't that illegal?

Everything is done in clincian's own office:

SOB infant= Neb, flu, rsv etc

Sore throat=strep test...you get the picture

It was a sad rotation I must say. Unfortunately also one of the busiest clinics in the area.

• 1 month later...

Archived