NHSC Loan Repayment Program Application

Is there anyone else out there who applied for the NHSC Loan Repayment Program cycle this year?

Does anyone know what scores got awarded last year? Has anyone gotten any feedback regarding their application for this year's cycle?

Every time I call to find out when we will find out whether we got awarded, I get a different answer. Some people say July, some August, some September...

Just seeing if anyone else is in the waiting game with me :)

3 different providers have applied from my health system, and they were told they would hear in september. Our site is a 16. If I hear anything from them, I will try to remember to post. Last year two applied and were denied, but I think they applied earlier this year. I am currently in the midst of year 3, and it is a truly awesome program. Hope to keep getting continuation contracts until my loans are done!

Thanks for your responses guys! So two people were denied at your location with a score of 16 last year?! I'm shocked because I heard that most people with scores >13 got awarded last year. Did the NHSC give them any indication as to why they were denied? Glad to hear that you are enjoying the program! I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get picked!

I believe one was a paperwork error and I think the other person was just denied. Not sure if she applied later in the cycle or what happened. Applying for the loan repayment was a stressful process because it was a lot of paperwork and waiting. Just today I have a deposit of 30k into my bank account, so all the stress is worth it! Time to go give this money to Sallie Mae....

haha, it will be a good feeling once they are actually paid off. I graduated with 152k in debt, and that was only from PA school. I hope to be debt free in 2 more years with the help of NHSC (total of 5 years). The nice thing about the loan repayment is that with the decreased monthly payments (I never consolidated, so each time I wipe out a few loans my monthly payment goes down) I get to save more money. I am saving a bunch for retirement and savings. Not to mention paying down principle on some of the loans with the extra money saved. I am *slightly* obsessed with paying my student loans off and saving for retirement.

I believe I was informed via letter that I was accepted, but now they do so much on the online Customer Service Portal, so I would imagine your status would update there. That is where we found out about getting the continuation contract for year 3, as well as an email stating the same.

Best of luck to you!!

I believe one was a paperwork error and I think the other person was just denied. Not sure if she applied later in the cycle or what happened. Applying for the loan repayment was a stressful process because it was a lot of paperwork and waiting. Just today I have a deposit of 30k into my bank account, so all the stress is worth it! Time to go give this money to Sallie Mae....

The paperwork error makes me nervous! I applied for the scholarship. I had to submit an acceptance form basically stating that I got into the program. I submitted the correct paper to the registrar office at my university, but they gave me one back from a different year although everything else about it was the same (the years on the paper were just different).

Hi sstrell1,

I applied for the scholarship as well. You haven't heard anything yet have you? I think we should get some sort of email in August! fingers crossed!

The paperwork error makes me nervous! I applied for the scholarship. I had to submit an acceptance form basically stating that I got into the program. I submitted the correct paper to the registrar office at my university, but they gave me one back from a different year although everything else about it was the same (the years on the paper were just different).

Congrats! Did you get notification via the service portal or email? Enjoy the loan repayment, its awesome!

I got my notification by email. I called earlier this week too. They said to just keep checking your email. I'm ecstatic! With having 6 month old twins, a two year old and working full time it's been kind of tight. This was truly a blessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Djr02d! Congrats on getting the email! I got an email asking me to "confirm interest" and to "accept the offer", but it also said "you are not guaranteed an award at this time". Is that the same email that you got? Do you think that we will definitely get awards since they asked for banking info? I am so happy for us if that's what it means!

I just got in too! On 6/26 I got an email from them asking to confirm my interest and give more banking info. Then I finally got an acceptance email 7/16. Theyre saying the money wont come for about 90 more days, but it's a huge relief knowing it's coming and cant wait to splurge a little this weekend

my site score was 18. there are two other providers at my site who are also trying to get it, but haven't heard anything yet. not really sure how they are going through the applications. our only guess is alphabetically as my last name is B and theirs come much later

I just got in too! On 6/26 I got an email from them asking to confirm my interest and give more banking info. Then I finally got an acceptance email 7/16. Theyre saying the money wont come for about 90 more days, but it's a huge relief knowing it's coming and cant wait to splurge a little this weekend

my site score was 18. there are two other providers at my site who are also trying to get it, but haven't heard anything yet. not really sure how they are going through the applications. our only guess is alphabetically as my last name is B and theirs come much later

Congrats Jbpa282! You definitely deserve a splurge this weekend! Thank you for the update--I got the initial email about "confirming interest", but have not yet received the second email that you mentioned. I hope I get it soon! Did they say whether the 2 year time frame begins now or when you actually receive the money? I am just curious about how they do the timing. Anyway congratulations and Kudos to you for working with the underserved : )

Hello and congrats to everyone who has already received an award for loan repayment! My site score is a 12 and I know chances are I may not receive an award. But, is there anyone out there who had or has a score below 14 that has received the award in the past or this year (2013)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived