trying to find a job to gain HCE

Hi all...I don't know if anyone else has experienced this frustration, but for some reason I am having trouble getting hired for a job to gain HCE. I have my CNA certification and recently graduated college, but everywhere local to me wants experienced CNAs, and for the most part there really aren't many openings. I cannot take an EMT course, phlebotomy, MA or the like anytime soon as it is not being offered until the fall semester, and I am applying this cycle. Starting in the fall I will be taking Orgo at a local university, so it makes it even more difficult to go full time for something like medical assisting, surgical tech, etc. Any thoughts on what to do until that point? It goes without saying that I need a job, and I feel like it is pointless to work in something completely unrelated until I can get hired somewhere as a CNA.

Schools won't accept home health or visiting nurse as experience? That makes no sense to me. I thought the idea behind the experience was the interaction between you and the pt. How does home health not do that? And yet shadowing is somehow good experience or something? That's strange. What about trying to find someone to shadow and maybe doing some lobbying while you are there?

I know..it doesn't make much sense to me either but that is what I have come across. I guess they figure because its more of helping with daily living activities versus "medical care" like vitals and whatnot. I am shadowng, and will continue to do that to build hours, just hoping something becomes available soon. Thanks for the input!

Hmm, that's so strange. What schools are you looking at applying to? Wonder if you'd be able to get the schools to open up to it by explaining it was more than just sitting there holding their hands and feeding them. Highlight things like V/S or assisting with rx's?

Sorry, just trying to be helpful.

Hey--What if you talk to some PA's/MD's you've shadowed and see if they know any nurse managers or something on a floor of the hospital they work in, and see if they could hire you as an aide for the floor? i did this work for a year and the only way I got an interview was through knowing people, even though the floor was actively looking for people.

Idk if you're area does this but I was worried about getting a job as a new CNA last year as well but look into nursing homes that offer CNA classes. Even though you already have your certification they usually seem a little better about new aides. Also some hospitals have aides.

Another idea: my nursing home has an activities dept. One of the activity girls is an aide. She's mostly responsible for well activities for the residents but since she's certified she often helps us out by taking people to the bathroom, walking people, feeding, etc. You could see if any nursing homes are looking for activity coordinators or even feeding assistants.

Also, have you tried hospice work? Hospice always sounded depressing to me but after I've taken care of them in a nursing home setting (all aides at my facility are required to take care of everyone, even if they're hospice. we don't have specific hospice aides) it really isn't that bad. Hope this helps!

Are there any free clinics in your area that you could volunteer at? I started doing that this summer and have learned so much! I even met a PA-student who was in a clinical rotation there & got to ask him a ton of questions. This will allow you to gain hours, experience, and may help you to get an interview at a nursing home or hospital.

That's awesome! Its also a great place to network as well. Other volunteers are likely to be Pre-PA students & they may have suggestions for you. Also, the healthcare professionals that work there might be willing to let you shadow them and/or suggest places for you to apply. Good luck :)

Yes, the key is "clinical" research. Bench work is in no way patient contact.

I do EKGs, take BPs, administer exercise stress tests, take vitals, explain medications and side effects, and record complete medical and social histories from patients. You'll learn a lot about evidence-based medicine and how to understand and apply medical literature to your practice. I've also been published a few times from my research. People on this forum like to bash research and say that research doesn't have a place in the PA profession but I 100% disagree- the lessons you learn from clinical research are extremely applicable to practicing medicine, especially in today's changing healthcare system. I have talked to a lot of programs in NC and they've all said that this counts as hands on patient care.

Yes, the key is "clinical" research. Bench work is in no way patient contact.

I do EKGs, take BPs, administer exercise stress tests, take vitals, explain medications and side effects, and record complete medical and social histories from patients. You'll learn a lot about evidence-based medicine and how to understand and apply medical literature to your practice. I've also been published a few times from my research. People on this forum like to bash research and say that research doesn't have a place in the PA profession but I 100% disagree- the lessons you learn from clinical research are extremely applicable to practicing medicine, especially in today's changing healthcare system. I have talked to a lot of programs in NC and they've all said that this counts as hands on patient care.

I agree completely. I worked as a clinical research coordinator before applying to PA school and thought it was fantastic patient experience. I probably averaged 5 hours a day working directly with patients doing the same type of tasks that kris_ described (I also learned how to draw blood and conduct pulmonary function tests since I was involved with respiratory studies). The other 3 hours or so was catching up on paperwork, processing lab work, reviewing medical records of prospective participants, etc. I got to know my patients really well because I followed them from the screening process through study completion.

Archived