Monitor Technician

Honestly, it's not the title that matters, it's the duties. For the most part, if you aren't directly dealing with patients, in other words, actually touching patients to perform tests or procedures as a integral part of your job, it won't be they kind of HCE you want for MOST PA programs. Now, there is a spot on the CASPA app for this other kind of health care experience, so if these jobs don't fit the above very well, they won't hurt you and will only make you a more rounded candidate. Just try to maximize the direct patient care experience.

Honestly, it's not the title that matters, it's the duties. For the most part, if you aren't directly dealing with patients, in other words, actually touching patients to perform tests or procedures as a integral part of your job, it won't be they kind of HCE you want for MOST PA programs. Now, there is a spot on the CASPA app for this other kind of health care experience, so if these jobs don't fit the above very well, they won't hurt you and will only make you a more rounded candidate. Just try to maximize the direct patient care experience.

I don't really care about the title. I was just wondering if it counts for patient contact hours, because I think it's something I would enjoy. But, if it doesn't count then I won't do it because I have no patient contact at all and need experience.

If you like cardiology, being an EKG tech isn't a bad way to go. From what I'm gathering, the monitor tech job sounds like the guy who sits in a room and watches heart tracings to make sure they don't go into any crazy rhythms while in the hospital. Not something I would find interesting, but some people love it. EKG techs perform EKG's, places monitors, and often even does treadmill stress tests. Very interesting stuff if you ask me and great experience since you will be in constant contact with the full range of cardiac patients on a daily basis.

I was an EKG/telemetry tech. We monitored the rhythms of patients throughout the hospital, and then went and did EKGs, applied holter monitors, etc. anytime an order came through. If you're in school, it's an amazing job, because you have a ton of time to study.

I was an EKG/telemetry tech. We monitored the rhythms of patients throughout the hospital, and then went and did EKGs, applied holter monitors, etc. anytime an order came through. If you're in school, it's an amazing job, because you have a ton of time to study.

I am very interested in this..but the only training that I can find around where I live are certificate programs I assume...they only take 2 months or so. Is this the training you received?

Well if I could take an EKG course online I would. However, I'm having trouble taking out loans. I'm also wondering how difficult the EKG course is and if taking medical term, organic chem, the EMT-B course, and working part time will be difficult while taking the EKG course?

Well if I could take an EKG course online I would. However, I'm having trouble taking out loans. I'm also wondering how difficult the EKG course is and if taking medical term, organic chem, the EMT-B course, and working part time will be difficult while taking the EKG course?

Even without the EKG course, you are attempting quite the courseload. The EMT-Basic is no walk in the park if it's your first class of that nature. You not only have to master the knowledge, but have to get up to speed on the national registry practical exam stations. I'll be the first to tell you that it's not difficult subject matter, it's just a lot to get your head around in one semester.

Organic chemistry can also be a bear. Some people love it and become chemists, the rest of us work our rear off to get A's and B's.

The EKG course is not that hard. Just a bit of anatomy and physiology and then some memorization of rhythms. I really enjoyed it.

Just make sure you can fit all that in and still get A's and B's. Remember, your goal should be to position yourself to be the strongest candidate when the time comes, not to apply the quickest.

I am very interested in this..but the only training that I can find around where I live are certificate programs I assume...they only take 2 months or so. Is this the training you received?

I trained on the job and then took a certification test once I was finished with my orientation period.

I took a 12 Lead EKG Tech course in CA that let me sit for a NCCT national license. I found the course easy, I had no homework, and it took 3 weekends. If I had no family I would have taken it while doing the 4 week EMT class M-F. Some of the EKG techs at my work just took the 1-2 day AHA course. What I would do is talk directly to the director of the cardiology department at various hospitals and show your interest and intentions. They may just hire you on the spot and give you OJT.

I took a 12 Lead EKG Tech course in CA that let me sit for a NCCT national license. I found the course easy, I had no homework, and it took 3 weekends. If I had no family I would have taken it while doing the 4 week EMT class M-F. Some of the EKG techs at my work just took the 1-2 day AHA course. What I would do is talk directly to the director of the cardiology department at various hospitals and show your interest and intentions. They may just hire you on the spot and give you OJT.

This is exactly what I did

I'll try that. I am trying to get a job by fall semester to receive patient contact hours and hopefully the hospitals are willing enough to train me, but I feel that they will probably want an EKG certification.

Even without the EKG course, you are attempting quite the courseload. The EMT-Basic is no walk in the park if it's your first class of that nature. You not only have to master the knowledge, but have to get up to speed on the national registry practical exam stations. I'll be the first to tell you that it's not difficult subject matter, it's just a lot to get your head around in one semester.

Organic chemistry can also be a bear. Some people love it and become chemists, the rest of us work our rear off to get A's and B's.

The EKG course is not that hard. Just a bit of anatomy and physiology and then some memorization of rhythms. I really enjoyed it.

Just make sure you can fit all that in and still get A's and B's. Remember, your goal should be to position yourself to be the strongest candidate when the time comes, not to apply the quickest.

Not to sound full of myself or anything, but I took nine classes last semester, eight of which that were science classes. I received all A's and one B at Cornell (insanely tough school) which was no walk in the park. I visited PA programs and I already know I'm competitive grade wise, but I need to stand out from the other applicants because a lot of the applicants already meet the minimum qualifications. My grandfather was a chemist and I have received A's in all my chemistry classes and for some reason I have been naturally good with chemistry. I'm not saying that will be the same case with orgo. My goal is to be a strong applicant, but I would like to apply this cycle if possible. If not, I'll just have to wait another year :/ I think I would really enjoy the EKG course too, but right now I'm just worrying about being able to afford taking the course and if it's worth it. I'm also curious if I would be guaranteed a job if I have my certification...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a telemetry tech at a major boston hospital. I've been an EMT and an ED tech for years and was hired here based on my experience. Once I was hired, I was taught the additional rhythms and details I needed. But unlike a lot of hospitals, I actually sit on the floor (well, not literally...) with 32 cardiac patients (all very sick) and monitor their rhythms. It's NOT an easy field. You sound very smart, but electrophysiology is a lot to learn at the same time as orgo AND emt b. If you find a job like mine, you could be able to work with patients (placing leads, etc) AND get the awesome background of learning so much cardiology. My experience here has been invaluable. I'd highly recommend it if you like cardio. Just don't underestimate how much there is to learn. Good luck!

Archived