Paramedic school a good idea?

I just recently signed up for the paramedic program at my local community college. It's actually an associates degree program and all 60 credits transfer into a allied healthcare administration degree at Towson university. My plan was to work as a paramedic in a busy inner city service and get ground experience while I'm young (I'm 22), all the while finishing the program at towson which can be completed online. Would I be competitive for PA school with these credentials or would I be better served getting a biology based degree in a traditional format? I'd much rather work as a paramedic for 5-10 years before PA school but I want to make sure that window is still open. Thanks for your time

I took a similar path as the one you describe. I was a paramedic for 17 years. I completed a B.S. in Healthcare Management via an accelerated online program, because it transferred more of my prior credits than any other degree, and I thought the subject of healthcare management would give me a good foundation for any healthcare career. I applied to 6 programs. I received interviews at 5, and will be attending my top choice this fall. None of the programs that I applied to had an issue with my online degree; however, I will caution you to do your research on the programs that you are interested in. There was one program near my home that did not have a problem with the online degree, but they would not accept online science lab courses. In my case, I took as many courses as I could to complete my degree at the local community college, because it was significantly cheaper, and transferred. Most of these courses were also the PA program prerequisites. It was never an issue for me, because while I earned an online degree, the science prereqs were completed in a traditional classroom. I think you have a solid plan, just do some research and perhaps call the programs you are interested in to get their feedback. Good luck.

As my name implies, I'm a little biased. I think its a really good idea. The experience I've gained has and will be invaluable in the future. You'll learn to keep a cool head under pressure, develop excellent communication skills in interacting with patients and other health care professionals, learn to exercise good judgement, and get a small leg up on some meds/pathophys/ekg interpretation etc.

A word to the wise, if you don't work in EMS already though. Don't ever stop learning and bettering yourself, and don't get lazy like the unfortunate number of others who bear the same title. Keep chipping away at your pre-reqs because as many can attest, the risk of injury, burnout, or getting "trapped" in this field is easier than you think.

I have a similar degree. I'll let you know how this cycle goes.

I am a medic as well, though I got mine after completing my bachelors. From everything I've seen, being a medic is second only to being a medic in the service as far as PA experience goes. I work for a big fire dept. and the experience gained and things you see in a short time will be invaluable going forward. Rural EMS is fun as well, though the learning curve can be steeper due to less call volume.

What Medic12 said about continuing your learning is extremely important, because it is very easy to get trapped in the field due to long hours and complacency. I've seen too many of my coworkers quit to "go back to school," only to see them doing the renal roundup six months later and still not be in school.

I completed the majority of my prereq's at a community college while working over the past year or so. Way cheaper, and the instruction is good. The best Orgo instructor around teaches at a comm. college here, so do a little research and you're sure to be fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Current PA student here..We have someone in our class who enrolled in Paramedic courses in case she did not get into school. She ended up getting in, but had completed her coursework as a paramedic as well and had worked as an EMT for awhile. There is a fair amount of overlap in the beginning coursework, so she is very well prepared for these first few months of school. I think this is a stellar idea. You will get hands on experience and will some of the material ahead of time, giving you a leg up when it comes time for school.

I took a version of that path, having about 18 years of volunteer and part-time EMS experience. It was good preparation for PA school.

You are used to quickly building rapport with patients, doing some minor procedures, and -- maybe most important of all -- recognizing that sometimes you just have to take your best shot in a critical situation. Being a medic helped in school and it helps every day as a PA. If I see something that I am unsure of and can't reach my SP, then I slip into what I call "EMS mode." Focus on the basics, draw on the people around you (the nurses and techs are your "crew" now), and act.

Archived