Flight Medicine / Aeromedical PAs

Can anyone shed some light of the limitations and capabilities of PAs in Flight Medicine. I'm an HPSP recipient in the Air Force and would like to gather info on this topic. Can PAs go straight into this specialty right out of PA school, or is some experience required prior? How is the pay? Can PAs do fly alongs? (im told we cant bill for it, but can still go).

ANY advice/info from PAs/MDs/NPs in this field would be appreciated!

I hold a PA license and still maintain my Paramedic credentials as well. The biggest challenge in doing both jobs for me was finding the time to stay current. I had to let the flying go.

It's also not financially feasible for me to work as a flight medic full time for flight medic pay. At least I haven't found a service willing to pay me for being a PA to do medic work. I suppose that gig exists somewhere but I haven't seen it. Plus the older I get the less I'm interested in R/W work. Wouldn't mind the F/W shift every once in a while.

Sounds like the Army guys have a good setup though if you go that route.

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know how competitive it is for Army PA's to get into the flight surgeon course? I know you have to complete 4 years active before even being eligible, but how hard is it really for someone interested in aviation medicine to become an APA. Also, do they take waivers for PRK/LASIK if you apply to the flight surgeon course.

• 1 year later...

I've been in aeromedical for the last 5 years and to this day have never seen a PA on my plane or on deployment. If you're looking to fly as a PA check out the Army. Witg the AF you won't be flying on helicopters unless you get to tag on to pararescue or maybe search and rescue or some tactical team and even then I'm not sure they'd use a PA over a paramedic. If you want to be w/flyers then expect to be at a flight medicine clinic, that's the only place I've ever seen a PA near flying, in my experience. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

BUMPING...

I work at Yale-New Haven Hospital and will soon be attending PA School at Duke. I can confirm first hand that Life Flight - the medical chopper used by Yale and U-Conn - absolutely DOES use a PA. I've spoken to two of them myself over lunch here at the hospital in between flights.

I can't tell you anything about salary, as at the time, I didn't ask. But as far as it being possible - it sure is. What I CAN tell you, however, is that both PAs had prior military experience. Ditto for the Captain/Pilot.

So anyway - you can be a helicopter PA in a private setting. It's now settled.

There are many PAs in the military who are flight surgeons. A couple years ago an AF PA was flight surgeon of the year.

I spent time as a AF flight PA and I can assure you that this is false. Flight surgeons are physicians. PAs are sent to a course to teach them how to deal with flyers, but they don't actually fly themselves.

Being responsible for others health and well being is a challenging task, but ensuring the United States President and his family members remain healthy adds even more pressure to an already stressful and demanding job. Nonetheless, for one 3rd Battalion 25th Aviation Regiment 25th Combat Aviation Brigade air medical physician assistant (PA) at Contingency Operating Base Speicher, this prior experience gave him an advantage for winning a prestigious aviation award.

For three years, I was the PA at the White house for the president, vice president and their families, said Capt. Larry Long, air medical PA with Headquarter Headquarters Company, 3-25 AVN and Chicago native. The work tempo was always crazy or I was working in the clinic where it was always busy.

Awarded by the Society of United States Army Flight Surgeons, Long was named the Spurgeon Neel Flight Surgeon of the Year based on the number of patients seen, air medical summaries and the amount of flight physicals given; but more remarkable is the award marks the third consecutive year for the 25th Combat Aviation Brigade.

For any PA in a brigade to win is great, the Chicago native enthusiastically said. But for the 25th CAB to receive it three years in a row is exceptional.

First, it was the army who gave the award. My bad. I thought you guys already did it because we've just opened up the true flight surgery course to PAs in the navy.

First, it was the army who gave the award. My bad. I thought you guys already did it because we've just opened up the true flight surgery course to PAs in the navy.

That's awesome. Interestingly, that's what I thought I would be doing when I joined (it was a big recruitment selling point). I've heard rumors that the AF was looking into it, but, as of right now, it's not an option.

That's awesome. Interestingly, that's what I thought I would be doing when I joined (it was a big recruitment selling point). I've heard rumors that the AF was looking into it, but, as of right now, it's not an option.

Yeah, the navy is really expanding. We already have EM and Ortho residencies. Now we just opened up flight and gen surg. There is talk of dive being next.

BUMPING...

I work at Yale-New Haven Hospital and will soon be attending PA School at Duke. I can confirm first hand that Life Flight - the medical chopper used by Yale and U-Conn - absolutely DOES use a PA. I've spoken to two of them myself over lunch here at the hospital in between flights.

I can't tell you anything about salary, as at the time, I didn't ask. But as far as it being possible - it sure is. What I CAN tell you, however, is that both PAs had prior military experience. Ditto for the Captain/Pilot.

So anyway - you can be a helicopter PA in a private setting. It's now settled.

Not sure if your information got a little mixed up, but your post is not quite accurate.

1) There is no such service as Life Flight in CT.  YNHH's HEMS service is called SkyHealth, while Hartford Healthcare (not UConn) operates Lifestar).

2) The Operations Manager for SkyHealth is a PA, but while he runs things on the admin side he is not part of the flight crew.  SkyHealth flies with an RN/PM crew configuration, and Lifestar uses an RN/RT crew.

Hope this helps to clear up some confusion; good luck with PA school.

Archived